The things they Carried....

They carried P-38 can openers and heat tabs, watches and dog tags, insect repellent, gum, cigarettes, Zippo lighters, salt tablets, compress bandages, ponchos, Kool-Aid, two or three canteens of water, iodine tablets, sterno, LRRP- rations, and C-rations stuffed in socks. They carried standard fatigues, jungle boots, bush hats, flak jackets and steel pots.

They carried the M-16 assault rifle. They carried trip flares and Claymore mines, M-60 machine guns, the M-70 grenade launcher, M-14's, CAR-15's, Stoners, Swedish K's, 66mm Laws, shotguns, .45 caliber pistols, silencers, the sound of bullets, rockets, and choppers, and sometimes the sound of silence. They carried C-4 plastic explosives, an assortment of hand grenades, PRC-25 radios, knives and machetes.

Some carried napalm, CBU's and large bombs; some risked their lives to rescue others. Some escaped the fear, but dealt with the death and damage. Some made very hard decisions, and some just tried to survive.
    They carried malaria, dysentery, ringworms and leaches. They carried the land itself as it hardened on their boots.

They carried stationery, pencils, and pictures of their loved ones - real and imagined. They carried love for people in the real world and love for one another. And sometimes they disguised that love: "Don't mean nothin'!"

They carried memories for the most part, they carried themselves with poise and a kind of dignity. Now and then, there were times when panic set in, and people squealed or wanted to, but couldn't; when they twitched and made moaning sounds and covered their heads and said "Dear God" and hugged the earth and fired their weapons blindly and cringed and begged for the noise to stop and went wild and made stupid promises to themselves and God and their parents, hoping not to die.

They carried the traditions of the United States military, and memories and images of those who served before them. They carried grief, terror, longing and their reputations. They carried the soldier's greatest fear: the embarrassment of dishonor. They crawled into tunnels, walked point, and advanced under fire, so as not to die of embarrassment. They were afraid of dying, but too afraid to show it.

They carried the emotional baggage of men and women who might die at any moment. They carried the weight of the world.

THEY CARRIED EACH OTHER

Great post!!! I will never forget the sacrifices they made for us.

Great post
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Thank you for expressing yourself so eloquently.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

I bought a dear friend a reflections print , he put it behind his couch and never took it out again.
    I understood he appreciated it , he just could stand to look at it.

Each war was different, however the vietnam war was never given the attention it deserved and its service men have NEVER been thanked the way other generations have.

The stats on vietnam vets are earth shattering. Anyone who survived the war still had to live with unjustified shame , because they went to war and their own people not only abandoned them, but persecuted them, along with supporting the enemy.

My heart goes out to anyone who was treated badly or forgotten.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    Thank you for expressing yourself so eloquently.
    I am sorry for forgetting to attribute those words to the author, Tim Obrien

thanks to those who have served.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

To this day the bugle "taps" still puts a large lump in my throat.

Sadly there are Lots of guys to thank serving in the here and now and not here. I think all the way back to the civil war and the battles both sides fought. Gettysburg alone had 50,000 casualties over three days. I think the civil war is still the most ever lost. If I remember right E-O-Jima had 5.000 by comparison. can you imagine 50,000 today in one battle, that was one third of the guys that fought there, every third guy died or probably lost a limb.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

The Man in the Arena

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; Who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

~President Theodore Roosevelt
    Speech at the Sorbonne
    Paris, France
    April 23, 1910
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

The goal is not to die for your country it is to get the other poor dumb bastard to die for his...

George Patton
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Thanks for the post.

Tom USN RET. 1953- 1974.