+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resume Ideas

Post Likes
    The Penguin is now actively looking for another Job as I,m tired of my immature school yard bully of a boss riding my butt. I have had this job for almost 15 yrs now and one other job where I apprenticed.
    This means I haven't a clue as to what I should put on my resume.
    I have done commercial havc and commercial refrigeration work exclusively.(minimal residental)

I need to find out exactly what makes a resume stand out in a employers mind. What you would like to see and not see?

Eg: should I list the type and brand of equipment I has serviced the tonnage? what my duties included EG: daily apprentice training assistance to junior techs etc?
    Should I include all of the training Ive taken over the years? (20)
    WhaT about personal interests?
    What about family?
    Help is appreciated thank you in advance

www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Definitely list any and all training, especially anything that can be backed up with a certificate or diploma.

Any supervisory and/or training responsibilities should be played up. Ditto sales work. Ability to handle bids and money are important.

Primarily, I believe in the idea that confidence sells. If you know that you're an asset no matter where you are, the boss you want to have will know it, too. All the rest just backs up your personal stance that you ARE the person for that position.

Then you deliver...
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Post Likes
    Don't forget "2 years and 1,700 posts on HVAC-Talk.com"!

Good luck in your search Penguin.
    don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Post Likes
    Keep it to one page.

Write a cover letter with each one you send out.

Post Likes
    and if you do list it online ... make sure nobody can easily hack into it and add fudgepacking as one of your talents

Post Likes
    This is scary! Now both the penguin and r12 are looking for new jobs. Im sure you guys wont have a problem. Come to the metro detroit area and you will get hired the same day. Tons of urban sprawl and building development. I never took any crap from my employers and they never gave any. They all new that you could go work for one of the many competitors the next day. Good luck you guys!

Post Likes
    Well you asked for Ideas.....................so here is one.
    Put a very hot picture of a wife or girlfriend or one you just downloaded from the net doesn't matter as long as she is hot and scantily clad. Below it type:NEED MORE MONEY!!! WILLING TO WORK LIKE A DOG TO KEEP HER SLIPPING OUT OF THOSE CLOTHES ....Below that list your work history. Of course dont send this one out if the service mgr is female or gay if u think the service mgr is gay then put your picture on the resume with a headline like SENSITIVE OPEN MINDED TECH SEEKS EMPLOYMENT ...then use a rainbow colored barline and list your work experience below.

It does help to know about the company you want to send the resume too and maybe beforehand hang out and annoy the guys at the local supplyhouse drink all their coffee and eat all their donuts while talking to techs coming in and out that work for companies your interested in.= so you can find out more about them. Just Don't forget to buy like 1 valve stem or disposable mastic brush so they don't think u just came in to steal their coffee and donuts.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    its not stealing if you eat the coffee and doughnuts before you leave the supply house

Thanks guys I'm going to rethink my resume I think I will do a few versions then review again before I decide on the finished product
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Post Likes
    Seems like you kept your sense a humor through this maybe you should be that under special skills in your resume!!!
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    ever go through a day with a tune going around in your head that you just can't shake? well for the last 3 months I've been hearing "Don't let the bastards get you down" to the tune of row row row the boat I think if it wasn't for my sense of humor I'd gone postal by now

Post Likes
    good post by LMTD.

Mentioning the family indicates 'possible' stability in the home vs a single guy who might spend his nights out i.e. not responsible.

Post Likes
    The best resume I ever got had two "sections" right upfront. The first was titled "summary of qualifications" where the guy had a short paragraph about himself which told me how many years of experience he had and very briefly what he had done and also his character. Right under that was "area of expertise" where he put 10 or 12 things he felt he was good at with bullets.

The great thing about that was I had everything I needed to know in 10 seconds.

There was also a "work history" and finally "licenses, education, certifications" section. But the first two sections where what caught my eye. The guy was way overqualified for the opening I had and I couldn't come close to what he should have been making (I would have had to pay him more than I make) but I did steal his resume format and now mine looks like his.

If you want to see mine. Check out my http://www. link below

And sense of humor, not a primadona - willing to do anything, friendly, and stuff like that is okay on a resume.

The experts say not to put marrage, family, hobbies, etc. But the experts probably never had to get a real job. I personally want to feel like I know you so any information that you provide that makes me comfortable with you is to your advantage. I even think a picture on a resume is okay (unless you look like me).
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes

You should be here

My boss told me to find a tech ASAP for plant maint. Involves light commercial. Any tech in the Lake Charles, Louisiana area, please contact Boss for my e-mail addy.

Post Likes

Shortest Job Interview Ever

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in