This one had me scratching my head today. I have a Carrier chiller M# 30GB0900-550 circa 1989. I get to the unit and disconnect is off maintenance got worried so they threw it. Power it up and the unit is stuck in Initialization mode, just keeps flashing a 20 code. Check the alarms and get a 88 (not listed in the fault list on the unit). I start checking power not getting anything out to the motor protectors for start-up, although the boards have the right voltage. Flow switch closed, checked each of the thermistors nothing open or shorted. I dont have any service info on this to know what the board looks at and the initialization steps before start-up but its coming in red tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this model or ran into this problem before and what they found. Or if something else could be locking it out and Im missing it. Im figuring that something in the board logic took a crap, but I just want to make sure. Any suggestions would help!
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

when you turn the on-off button on 20 will show up after so many seconds display will go blank, do not touch the black button because if you do it will not go through startup. 88 is for testing system. you need to go to carrier and get the service manual for this chiller.

When you power up initialization period is approx two minutes.If the display button is pushed during the two minute initialization you place the controller into a self test mode. The display will show "88" and the alarm light will energize. Self test mode stays on for 10 minutes without pressing the display button everytime the display button is pushed you restart the 10 minute countdown.
    Hope this helps.

I did wait 30min before hitting the display button. Then shut down and waited again. It was still stuck flashing 20, the manual should be in the shop today.

Thanks for the replies.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Check to see if the black button's contacts are stuck closed. Had that happen to me once.

a

I found the problem and it happened to be a foolish oversight by me. The reason the 20 was flshing was because the board was losing power and powering back up. The flow switch paddel broke off midway and was snapping back and forth quickly. I checked power at the switch once but didn't monitor it.

Once I pulled my head out of my but things went quite smoothly.