Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Building.

Ever since I can remember I have had this goal to build my own house. Each and every time I get started about this it ends up where the other person tells me how it aint as cheap as I think, with out me ever mentioning savings. The money aint my issue. I just have always wanted to do this. I helped build a few as a punk in my high school years and a few after I got out of the army. Plus pratically all my buddies growing up, their fathers were all trades guys. Brick layers, carpenters, electricians. Out of my buddies who still keep in touch, I am the last one to actually make the plunge.

Found my dream lot. Today we had no kids and decided to get up early and go driving. Found a 5 acre parcel in a nice small town 50 miles west from where I am at, (which is already 30 miles outside the war zone of America.) It's a done deal by the end of the week.

I figure about two years, I'll be back in my own element once again. Hope I can drum up work there. Anyway, really geeked about this..

We got 5 plans we have been debating between for a long time now. Since about 95'. The largest is 3500 SQFT.

Just curious if any of you are nuts like me??

its fulfilling the american dream, build your own house, when you are done post the pictures, i truthfully envy you its one heck of an undertaking with probably a lot of headaches but what the heck you get that everyday at work so you should be used to it by now. lots of luck

Talking Make sure you're marriage is strong

Dow, there's only a few things more stressful than building a house. Just make sure you and your wife are up to it. I've built 4 houses for my family, my wife is still mad about it. It took alot of time away from my family, because I would work on it at night and weekends. Don't build a house that's too big, because you'll have to pay to keep it up for a long time.Good luck
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Keep us posted on your progress, and pics are nice too.

I'm hoping eventually to build a house someday too. I don't think I'll do 100% of the work though, most likely hire out the stuff I'd rather not do or can't do (concrete for example).

Good luck!

Hey Dow, can't say I've ever built the whole house but have gone the route of a foreclosure fixer upper. End result was quite comfortable and I actually did what I always preach, didn't scimp on the HVAC. Loww energy bills, very happy wife. Good luck!
    Don't let your ego get in the way of a good decision

Do it

I did it, few regrets.

I bought the land, cut it off, hired the digging and concrete and pounded well, and went to work.
    I had a carpenter help me, and I paid him.

I hired out the fiberglass and sheetrock, because they installed it cheaper per piece than I could buy it for.

I had a licensed plumber do the drains, a guy I worked with.

Took three months, and I had a full time job, too.

My advice, build a simple style for the first one. Saves time on the learning curve.

Don't change the plans part way through.

Buy materials WAaayyyy ahead.

Have extra money.

Noel

When I do it

I'll sub out lots. Concrete, framing, roofing, drywall, painting, etc. I'll do the fun stuff. Build my own cabinets, countertops, front door, lots of nookey storage and display areas, install and trim including the windows, hvac system, landscaping, etc. Tell us about your "dream" hvac system your are thinking about many DDDDD's. You do subscribe to Fine Homebuilding don't you?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I did it.... 3400 sq. ft. 2 story

advice

2600 max

1 floor only

get good subs.

I have no regrets. Built mine for 150k. Contemplating putting it on the market for 390k.

Originally posted by Timber

2600 max

1 floor only

[/B]

Hmmmmmmm, with an unfinished basement right? How could ya give up all that cheap storage/ kids space?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

No basements around here, 99% are on slabs.

I just bought my land, and am going to start next spring. I will do all but the excavating. We do mostly new residential work, so I have carpenters to help me out if I get into trouble. I'm going to use an eco block foundation and Nu-wool insulation. Only building 1500sf ranch. Considered geo-thermal, but decided on using Rheem modulating gas furnace. Now I'm learning how to lay brick, it's boring but not very difficult. I figure the job should come in around 40 per sf, as long as I don't need much labor. Good luck to you.

Watch that closet space very closely,The more closet the more money wife will spend to fill them.I know from experence.52 pairs shoes, 20 bathing suits so many dresses i could dress a womens army.

Originally posted by bigbird
    Watch that closet space very closely,.I know from experence.52 pairs shoes, 20 bathing suits so many dresses i could dress a womens army.

That`s not counting what Mrs. Bigbird has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast