I've seen thermometer wells in copper that look like a piece of 1/4" tubing brazed through and diagonally across a piece of 1 1/8" tubing, or similar in other sizes.

The purpose was to stab a thermometer into the center of the gas flow without a hassle with the insulation, or the freon.

Anyone know where I can find these?