Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY FELLOW TRADES MEN I JUST ACCEPTED A POSITION IN FORT MEYERS FLORIDA WORKING MAINLY ON CHILLERS WITH LITTLE TO NO EXPERIENCE FACT KNOWN BY NEW EMPLOYER I'M A REFRIGERATION AND 10 TON AND UNDER HEAT AND A/C MAN WITH 4 YEARS JOURNEYMENS CAN I GET SOME FEEDBACK HOW THE TRANSITION WILL BE FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER WHAT CAN I EXPECT. ALSO WHAT AVENUES OF SCHOOLING OR MANUALS WILL BE HELPFUL MAKING THE TRANSITION. THANKS FOR YOU INPUT. I MUST BE HONEST FEEL NERVOUS MOVING FROM MARYLAND TO FLORIDA AND THEN FALLING ON MY FACE.

Originally posted by greenhorn on fire
    HEY FELLOW TRADES MEN I JUST ACCEPTED A POSITION IN FORT MEYERS FLORIDA WORKING MAINLY ON CHILLERS WITH LITTLE TO NO EXPERIENCE FACT KNOWN BY NEW EMPLOYER I'M A REFRIGERATION AND 10 TON AND UNDER HEAT AND A/C MAN WITH 4 YEARS JOURNEYMENS CAN I GET SOME FEEDBACK HOW THE TRANSITION WILL BE FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER WHAT CAN I EXPECT. ALSO WHAT AVENUES OF SCHOOLING OR MANUALS WILL BE HELPFUL MAKING THE TRANSITION. THANKS FOR YOU INPUT. I MUST BE HONEST FEEL NERVOUS MOVING FROM MARYLAND TO FLORIDA AND THEN FALLING ON MY FACE.
    First of, STOP SHOUTING!
    Here's the upside
    -bring lots of sun-block.
    -sell all of the winter gear, especially the shovel and the snow tires.
    -Keep a couple of sweaters.
    Downside
    -On second thought you might want to keep the shovel. As a greenhorn there will be lots of sh-t to move about.
    -chillers come in all sizes, shapes and audible levels.
    -controls can go from simple, to total confusion. Enough to make a grown man cry "uncle", while taking a sip of something or the other.
    -then there is the little thing about water flows.

Enough said. Good luck, welcome to Florida.

I moved from Omaha, Nebraska to Orlando about 1 year ago
    Your best bet is to join the pipefitters local in your area
    You can get an awesome education by sitting in on 4th and 5th year. 4th year is chiller theory and teardown. 5th year will get into alot of controls and various control systems.
    I wouldn't be worried about the new job. Bring with yourself
    a good work ethic, and a desire to learn and you will be fine. You absolutely have to do alot of reading, whether you are working on air cooled or cetrifugal chillers.

with all the retirees down that way, how do you get to service calls in a timely fashion???????

Pro- No State Taxes Witheld or paid.

Con- You can't carry your beeper or cell phone in the Jai-Lai frontons, so you might just miss the "Big" call you should go on.

Pro- Many Hard-bodied lovely lasses to ....."Observe".

Con- Cleaning turtle heads and eel parts from a water cooled condenser using either bay or intercoastal cooling water.

Pro- All food is much cheaper, in particular steaks, since Florida is by far the largest Beef producing state their is. Many times more than puny lil' Texas.

Con- The "Man" watches the Cow pastures for those that miiiiiiiight' just seek the "Happy-Mushroom" after a brief summer shower..(You have only a few hours to pick the sucker....Or....so I was told)

Pro- Spring Break.....Where the Lovelies from all over come to Florida with a score-pad to keep count of their.......encounters.

Con- Those damn flying critters known as "No-See-Ums"
    They can actually go thru the screen wire mesh on a window or door.....and has a bite almost equal to that of a Cougar.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

texas is the place to be.

OK. So I'll bite. What's a "No-See-Ums"? Sounds like something from a Hitchcock film.

Working on chillers--one simple suggestion is "hearing protection"

No see ums are exactly as the name implies. You won't seem them but you will feel them. Pesky little buggers.

Originally posted by hw chiller man
    No see ums are exactly as the name implies. You won't seem them but you will feel them. Pesky little buggers.
    The discomfort level seems to be like prickly heat to me.

Not really painfull but very annoying.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

no-see-ums are very small sand fleas. They bite you & extract blood similar to mosquitos, The problem 1.) you don't see them 2.) when they bite you you don't feel it. 3.) lastly later on 2-6 hours later you feel all of the bites.
    20 years ago I visited my parents down in Florida. They didn't put oil on the screens (that's what they used then)When I woke up the next morning I felt like I was bitten by a thousand mosquitos. Now they use an electric bug zapper & no more problems.

Thanks for the info. Living in California spares me the concern of many pesky critters. Instead I have to worry about punitive taxation, moral decay, housing prices that drive up an average abode to over a half million and earthquakes that tear those abodes down.

Florida here I come.

not to mention high utility rates, lousy schools, & the # 1 litigation state in the country. I left there 7 years ago. Good riddance. Like I always tell everyone who asks me why I left Ca. & I say there is more to life than good weather!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast