Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ideas you are still very young, as you grow in years and wisdom you will become more conservative and better understand where we come from.
    As to the price of E-85 the reason it is so inexpensive is the vast amounts of subsidies the farms receive from the government. In particular the corn growers so they can produce ethanol. One of the main reasons ethanol is not used here in Texas is the contribution to pollution it makes. When Houston was labeled the most polluted city in the country (a myth by the way) Ethanol enhanced fuels were banned because they contributed to the problems.
    I am all for Bio-diesel but it is not available here.
    President Bush is not the reason that oil industries are dominant in the field of fuels or energy its just business. When it is right and the market drives it other fuel sources will be available and not before. The president or congress could not stop an economic and viable alternative to petro chemical products.
    If other fuels where viable why aren't they used in other countires the president and congress do not control the world.
    Brasil uses mostly etahanol or grain based fuels they still have terrible air polution and poverty and fuel is relativly expensive. At least here in the states we have very affordable and inexpensive fuel prices. When adjusted for inflation gas is as low as it has ever been.
    If your so disgusted with your place in life and want to make more money move. The reason the Midwest and Iowa is on the bottom of the salary curve is you have not industry and are mostly an agricultural economy. It is pure economics from your state anything that is made cost more to ship to the end user and all raw materials must be shipped in and that adds cost.
    You need to learn more about the world and how economies work before you run on about what is wrong with the economy.
    Try reading some books on the subject and not those written by political hacks from either side. Read books from the 40’s and 50’s to gain a perspective than read more modern books to update your knowledge. In truth what was valid in the 40’s and 50’s is valid now.
    If you are not investing your money now you will never be successful read a book called the Wealthy Barber it will teach you how to save on the tightest budget.
    My nephew just graduated college last year he will be an accredited money manager in a few months. While in college and struggling to pay bills (he worked part time to pay his way through school) he invested $700.00 and in 6 months accumulated $3,700.00 in profits. He was making $9.00 an hour and paying for school an apartment and all of his upkeep. His mother could not afford to help him. His is by no means rich but he is smart; since graduating and working in a bank as a teller he has parleyed that $3,700.00 into enough to back a loan for a new $40,000.00 Ford Expedition. He still only makes $12.00 an hour as a full time teller he does have benefits.
    So what you make an hour is not relevant to what you can do in investing only the limits of your attitude can do that.

Originally posted by classical
    Ideas you are still very young, as you grow in years and wisdom you will become more conservative and better understand where we come from.
    As to the price of E-85 the reason it is so inexpensive is the vast amounts of subsidies the farms receive from the government. In particular the corn growers so they can produce ethanol. One of the main reasons ethanol is not used here in Texas is the contribution to pollution it makes. When Houston was labeled the most polluted city in the country (a myth by the way) Ethanol enhanced fuels were banned because they contributed to the problems.
    I am all for Bio-diesel but it is not available here.
    President Bush is not the reason that oil industries are dominant in the field of fuels or energy its just business. When it is right and the market drives it other fuel sources will be available and not before. The president or congress could not stop an economic and viable alternative to petro chemical products.
    If other fuels where viable why aren't they used in other countires the president and congress do not control the world.
    Brasil uses mostly etahanol or grain based fuels they still have terrible air polution and poverty and fuel is relativly expensive. At least here in the states we have very affordable and inexpensive fuel prices. When adjusted for inflation gas is as low as it has ever been.
    If your so disgusted with your place in life and want to make more money move. The reason the Midwest and Iowa is on the bottom of the salary curve is you have not industry and are mostly an agricultural economy. It is pure economics from your state anything that is made cost more to ship to the end user and all raw materials must be shipped in and that adds cost.
    You need to learn more about the world and how economies work before you run on about what is wrong with the economy.
    Try reading some books on the subject and not those written by political hacks from either side. Read books from the 40’s and 50’s to gain a perspective than read more modern books to update your knowledge. In truth what was valid in the 40’s and 50’s is valid now.
    If you are not investing your money now you will never be successful read a book called the Wealthy Barber it will teach you how to save on the tightest budget.
    My nephew just graduated college last year he will be an accredited money manager in a few months. While in college and struggling to pay bills (he worked part time to pay his way through school) he invested $700.00 and in 6 months accumulated $3,700.00 in profits. He was making $9.00 an hour and paying for school an apartment and all of his upkeep. His mother could not afford to help him. His is by no means rich but he is smart; since graduating and working in a bank as a teller he has parleyed that $3,700.00 into enough to back a loan for a new $40,000.00 Ford Expedition. He still only makes $12.00 an hour as a full time teller he does have benefits.
    So what you make an hour is not relevant to what you can do in investing only the limits of your attitude can do that.

he makes $12/hr...$480/a week...$24k/year..and bought a $40k depreciating truck?? let me guess..he is still renting an apartment. smart money would have bought a house that would appreciate or rolled that money into roth ira or mutual fund, something, not the truck. and you say he is an accredited money manager?? oh, brother.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

this bush is the product of the oil companies not the other way around.

don't believe someone that says "everything" is market driven.

the makers of our economy have manipulated the markets since there were markets.
    that is economic history.

there have always been trends,and on the outside,the market does seem to explain things,to a degree.

oil was the easiest and most readily available energy source that had been invested in.

the reason the world generally uses petro-based fuels is that the industialized world has led the way.

since the 1870's when standard oil(john d. rockefeller-) formed the southern oil trust with the other major oil refiners and producers at the time,they have been pushing oil.(others in the trust were families of ,james a. baker,george schulz,william f. buckley,etc fyi)(intelligece committee minority leader jay(john d. IV rockefeller)

they (illegally)made deals with the major railroads to corner the market on suppling oil and gas,which whittled down competitors.

then with the help of henry ford,the internal combustion engine came into favor and the burgeoning automobile industry has been invested in and in allegience to the petroleum industry ever since.

during the depression many farmers used ethanol to power their tractors,until the federal gov't came in and systematically threatened them with having to pay taxes for producing their own fuel,to such a degree that they couldn't even think of doing it.

so for a century and a half the oil industry has been eliminating competition.
    stifleing it.
    so sure there has been more research done and the bugs have been worked out for oil related industries,whereas these "fledgling"energy sources haven't had the investment and help of the prevailing economic intrests,instead they have been swimming upstream of the river of discovery.
    that is why we are in such a whole.
    hydrogen fuel cell was invented in 1837,someday they will "get to it"

personally,i suspect
    people are allowed to :
    brew their own beer,
    make their own wine,
    but you are not allowed to distill alchohol,is it because you are making a fuel?too close for comfort.

you could say the gov't is worried because they lose the tax money on alchohol,but they lose the tax money on wine and beer too;so what gives?

they have squashed natural competition so that what is left can be "dealt" with by the "market-economy"

an example of gov't upholding supremecy by major economic factors is the "
    illegalization of marijauna.

dupont came out with a new product called nylon.

except there was already a natural product that had all the markets cornered,it was sisal(hemp)
    so make it illegal on some hysterical conjured racist reaction,and wa-la.no more competition.1937 marijaunna tax act.product of propaganda.

now the pharmaceutical industry wouldn't like it,to be legalized.among others.
    hemp seed is one of the best sources for making bio-diesel fuel.

in the late 80's many alternative fuel patents were bought up by agri-conglomerates like: ADM,monsanto,

surely when the time is right ,they will come out.

even the railroad industry was the target of the shipping industry(weight limits)that was more powerful when they were growing ,to impose restrictions(gov't)to protect their buisness(shipping freight)

the history of capitalism,since before we were a country,has been the biggest intrests aligning the gov't to be hospitable to their intrests.
    empires are built this way.and corporations thrive.

but as to why the rest of the world doesn't do more ,

aside from having little of their own that is not heavily dependent of foreign financiers,who make vast amounts of money with things the way they are.

they tend to not have auto plants/designs/alternative infrastructure to support a totally independent form of energy consumption.

which I agree is market driven.
    that is easy,cheap, and it has been done before.
    there is little incentive to be the one to do all the research and trials of something new ,when what we have been using has gotten us this far.

[Edited by remember on 07-11-2004 at 05:18 PM]

Just remember

In the final analysis. We are oil dependent. This means that as a capitilist driven free economy, we will constantly seek out oil reserves. Of course, this is not bad in itself!!

yeah rob

thats true,by itself.

Well Tinner considering he has been out of school for less than a year and was driving a 20-year-old truck that was worn out yes he bought a new vehicle.
    In two months he will be licensed to consult he will have a new position and a much higher salary. It also means he will be moving to a new branch so he will need to relocate. In time he will purchase a home he does fully fund all of his funds for retirement. The point was he made enough in less than 18 months to qualify for a leveraged loan (he has the $40,000 in the bank) to buy a needed vehicle. You can't take clients out in a worn out truck. It is also all right to reward yourself for working hard and getting an education and paying for it yourself.
    I suspect in ten-years he will be very well off and able to retire if he wishes.
    As soon as he is accredited he will be managing my funds; he already helped my mother rebuild her stocks after another firm lost over 70% of what my father left her.

What were you worth when you were 23 years old!

I am not against investing. I bought my house when I was 18 for $40,000, remodeled the entire house and it was assesed at $92,000 3 years later.....not a bad investment.

As far as investing in stocks, there is very little of that done here. I would like to speak with a consultant but about 3 months ago the guy that was revered as the best around was arrested for stealing hundreds of thousands of his investor's money. Needless to say, this reinforced by worries.

I do know of some companies I want to invest in. Some for short-term gains and others to ride out for the long-haul. Problem is the ability to do it.

If y'all have any good tips, I'm all ears.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Originally posted by classical
    Well Tinner considering he has been out of school for less than a year and was driving a 20-year-old truck that was worn out yes he bought a new vehicle.
    In two months he will be licensed to consult he will have a new position and a much higher salary. It also means he will be moving to a new branch so he will need to relocate. In time he will purchase a home he does fully fund all of his funds for retirement. The point was he made enough in less than 18 months to qualify for a leveraged loan (he has the $40,000 in the bank) to buy a needed vehicle. You can't take clients out in a worn out truck. It is also all right to reward yourself for working hard and getting an education and paying for it yourself.
    I suspect in ten-years he will be very well off and able to retire if he wishes.
    As soon as he is accredited he will be managing my funds; he already helped my mother rebuild her stocks after another firm lost over 70% of what my father left her.

What were you worth when you were 23 years old!
    i can understand needing a better vehicle. i can understand wanting to reward yourself for all of his hard work. (congrats to him,really) i don't understand the need for a $40k truck that is worth $25k in a couple of years. just seemed to be going in the wrong direction to me. how much money do you think he is gonna make in 10 years to be able to retire??? 24k/yr bank teller to retirement in 10yr, seems awfully optomistic to me. good luck just the same.

p.s. at 23 i just purchased my first home....but this story isn't about me
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123