Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tried working on an old ice machine the other day and it worked me over. I have not touched one since school 17 years ago. It was not making much ice so I added a little 502 in the system. Raised the head pressure from 230 to 260. Was told to do this by a friend which usually services it. It started dumbing more ice and I left it at that. Next day call... ice machine not working. Now the thing is not working at all....so I turned the timer motor and it started, ran for three second and stoped. No schematic on the thing. Now, I know the basics of the ice making process and thought I would give it a go. I failed and promise all of you to never touch another ice machine.

P.S. Let this be a lesson to all of the diy home owners out there. 17 years in the trade and youd think I would be able to fix a freakin ice machine. Thanks!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Talking ice machine got me

heres a suggestion,if you ask the almighty dice,he might be able too help you,providing you give make model and serial#.im quite sure one of the gurus here can help you,but dice is the man on some of those things,as well as a few other guys ,give it a shot,but be clear as to what your problem is.
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

If it's got a timer that you can turn it's got to be an old Scotsman CM cuber.

Yeah, ask Dice.......he loves Scotsman.

Seriously, go to Scotsman's website (if that's what you have):
    http://www.scotsman-ice.com/index.html

Download the service manual for that machine and you'll be miles ahead.

[Edited by icemeister on 07-06-2004 at 10:24 PM]

Yep a scottsman cm...still the easiest machine ever to work on PERIOD!

Ice machines are like women: You have to be nice to them, talk nice to them, watch them carefully, pay attention to them, treat them just right and they will reward you. One false move on your part and you will suffer for all eternity.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Yep a scottsman cm...still the easiest machine ever to work on PERIOD!

I cut my teeth on Scotsman CM's when I did hotel maintenance. Loved those old dogs. Cube sizer, spray bar, timer, bin stat, R-12 (or in this case 502) plant, pump, and bin. Great machines to learn on as a young pup.

Once in awhile you'd get one fitting Penguin's description, however!

Coolwhip, you said it had a "timer motor." What brand of machine is this?

coolwhip

I gave your post some more thought since I last posted. Let's recap what you did and the followup...you added some gas to the unit, it seemed to make ice fine, but now doesn't run at all unless you advance timer. Then it fires off but quits within three seconds.

Does this machine have a high pressure cutout switch on it? Reason I ask is that on ice machines there are several things that can contribute to low ice production (original complaint if I read your post right) other than refrigerant charge. Dirty condenser coils, freeze plates need cleaning (using nickel safe ice machine cleaner and following manufacturer's cleaning instructions, if available), warm make-up water, hot gas solenoid leaking by, water running out before freeze cycle is completed, hot ambient operating conditions where machine sits, etc.

If you're still trying to work on this dude, post more info and maybe we'll figure it out.

Originally posted by midhvac
    UH, SCOTSMAN.

Im rough on ice machine service, but heres the deal.
    1. complaint- not enough ice.
    2. observed- water dripping over freeze plate ok. About every 15 min. it would go into the hot gas mode to release the ice.
    3. if i recall the pressures were 28 low and 230 high. Was told to add a little 502 to get the head up to 260.
    4.I did just that and it started making more ice.
    5. call back. Master switch is on but unit is not operating. Freeze plate section felt warm.
    6. tried turning the timer motor and it kicked on for 3 sec. and stoped. after which I could not get the the machine to do anything.

Keep in mind that this was at a country club. I just serviced and repaired two 30 ton trane units and a pool heater. I was filling in for another independent mech. cont. which was on vecation. I warned him and said that I dont know didly about ice machines. He wanted me to take a look see anyway since I was already there. Next thing I know , I get stuck working on the darn thing. Felt like a ding bat. It is very rare that I cant fix something. It was a 25 year old unit with no schematic. Ice bin on the bottom, freeze plate area on top right and mechanical top left. Did not see a brand name. Had other calls to catch so I told him to call his other guy that usually services that machine. Peace.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by midhvac
    UH, SCOTSMAN.
    HAHA, my brain was out of focus. That little booger with the cam & microswitch. Thanks for bringing me back to earth

I'm going back to sleep now

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

coolwhip

If you learn the outcome of that unit from the other tech, please post it here. I'm curious as to what the problem was.

Re: coolwhip

Originally posted by shophound
    If you learn the outcome of that unit from the other tech, please post it here. I'm curious as to what the problem was.
    ........UH, "SCOTSMAN" !!! enough said?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast