Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I would like some advice on why TRANE RTAC 225 ton Screw Chiller is considered the best model? Is it compared to the CARRIER 30 GXN? We are replacing a MCQuay model that frankly has had problems right after the warrranty expired. It has only been in use for 5 years.

Lightbulb

We could have fixed the problem!

Hmm

How? Looks like a 225 would be three compressor, right?

How much money??

To compare the gxn to the trane screw, You are comparing a bmw to a Yugo. you will go one point above the Mcquay with the gxn. Trane has very few problems wit their screw chiller.The gxn is a very sensitive unit, From my exp working on the gxn we have job security working with the gxn. Good Luck

I find that most people's opinions of equipment is directly related to their familiarity of the equipment. How much they have been trained and how much experience and understanding they have with the equipment. Personally, I feel very good about the GXN. I think it is a very good piece of equipment and is easy to work on. But I feel this way because I have lots of training on them and understand them pretty well (every body learns something new everyday and needs to, so I know I do not know it all). It is much quieter and configurable. But again this is my narrow minded opinion.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

i have had excellent luck with gxn, gxr and the water cooled side. trane is a good choice also. i prefer carrier. it is quiter. the fans are designed by pratt and whitney who builds jet engines. i have about 20 carrier screw machines in my area and no compressor failure so far. i had about 2 failures on trane and i lost count on mcquay.

We service about 10 ALS McQuay chillers. The controls are very good , the weakpoint is the compressor and I could not recommend a McQuay because of that. We retrofitted a McQuay with a Copeland screw and it is turning into a very good chiller. I had one Carrier under contract and could never recommend that chiller even though I worked for Carrier for 10 years. Numerous leaks in the condenser coil return bends up to and including complete coil replacement on a 2 year old chiller. Have only seen one Trane run and from what I saw and heard the compressors are real screamers-noise better not be a factor. My personal choice would be the new Yorks. Fairly quiet and very serviceable. JMHO

The idea behind screw chillers is less moving parts,reliability and efficiency. Trane Screws are work horses. Especially the new GP-2 Compressor design with R-134a. You cant compare it to a GX. Carriers 06N Screw compressors have gears which are more moving parts. Not to mention the motors are designed to run hot 180 to 200 degrees. They are 3 stage fixed loading 33%,66%,100%. Trane compressors are 3 stage with last stage modulating.

Im not sure if York has came out with Electronic expansion valves for the air cooled srews. The last Yorks screws I worked on had TXVs and leaking evaporators. Do your homework.

The new Yorks recently installed still had TXV. Will keep an eye out for any refrigerant shortages.

I put up a similar post about 1 month ago and got some great responses. search " chiller sellection" by joegrind. also I'll be probably posting my decision tomorrow.

I am assuming that you have an ALS225a. Is that correct? If so has McQuay Service installed the CEK kit/ Oil seperator yet? If not dont give up on the machine. Have the kit installed. The als b & c vintage machines came with a oil seperator and McQuay had very few problems.

I dont think you can go wrong with either a Trane or a York, I work for Trane and see a bunch of RTACs and they are pretty nice. I try not to bash other manufacturers but I wouldn't take a McQuay if you gave it to me. I have a customer that has 4 ALS300s that are about 6 years old that he is going to replace this winter due to multiple compressor failures and terrible support from factory McQuay service, I think they have 3 guys to take care of the whole state of Ohio. Good luck on your decision.

Dude
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast