+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX Field Controllers with MS/TP

Post Likes

FX Field Controllers with MS/TP

Has anyone used FX field controllers with BACnet MS/TP? What would I need to download and commission the program? How well does it work? etc.. thanks

Post Likes
    Look at Contemporary Controls P/N BASRTP-B or the JCI equal. It is a mstp to ip router for bacnet.

Post Likes
    Yes.

You'll need a BACnet/IP to MS/TP router and the BACnet download utility included with the FX Builder CD.
    Johnson's part number is LP-KIT204-000C for the router mentioned in the previous post.

An FX20/60 with a BACnet MS/TP license can act as a router as well.

With FX20/60s the FX series controllers don't seem to have any issues.
    Last edited by DaveCR; 05-25-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
    UA LU 562

Post Likes
    Can someone provide more info on using the FX20/60 as the BACnet router for JCI CommPro BACnet through an internet connection?

Is there a particular port that needs to be opened to the FX20/60 or settings in CommPro BACnet that need to be made?

Is this connection any more reliable than the N2 serial tunnel with CommPro N2?

Any info is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Yes.

You'll need a BACnet/IP to MS/TP router and the BACnet download utility included with the FX Builder CD.
    Johnson's part number is LP-KIT204-000C for the router mentioned in the previous post.

An FX20/60 with a BACnet MS/TP license can act as a router as well.

With FX20/60s the FX series controllers don't seem to have any issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by foyler View Post
    Can someone provide more info on using the FX20/60 as the BACnet router for JCI CommPro BACnet through an internet connection?
    Intranet yes, internet no.* Johnson's BACnet CommPro needs to be on the same subnet as the BACnet server.

Is there a particular port that needs to be opened to the FX20/60 or settings in CommPro BACnet that need to be made?
    The FX20/60 will need a BACnet MS/TP license (LP-FXBACMS-0), BACnet network configuration, and the CommPro software will need the ip address for the 20/60.

Is this connection any more reliable than the N2 serial tunnel with CommPro N2?
    So far, after a few dozen downloads and several uploads, there have been zero issues.

* There may well be a work around for this that I'm not aware of.
    Last edited by DaveCR; 06-08-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
    UA LU 562

Post Likes
    Thanks, Dave. Appreciate the information.

We were hoping for an internet solution, but I guess not yet... but it will be nice not to have to bounce back and forth between the router and FX20/60 while on site during start up.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Intranet yes, internet no.* Johnson's BACnet CommPro needs to be on the same subnet as the BACnet server.

The FX20/60 will need a BACnet MS/TP license (LP-FXBACMS-0), BACnet network configuration, and the CommPro software will need the ip address for the 20/60.

So far, after a few dozen downloads and several uploads, there have been zero issues.

* There may well be a work around for this that I'm not aware of.

Post Likes

VPN

Has anybody had any luck doing the pass-through over a VPN?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by littleguy View Post
    Has anybody had any luck doing the pass-through over a VPN?
    Sounds like youre looking for tunnelling....The trick to enable this is to set 'Tunneling Enabled' = TRUE on the Drivers\NiagaraNetwork\FoxService node of the station that yr tunnelling thru.

We have sites where the AX-sup is VPN connected and the VPN only allows access to the single IP addy. We tunnel via the Sup into field JACES across the WAN...works seamlessly! ...its like sitting there plugged into a JACE....except that its usually 10:30pm and Im at home doing the graphics on a job!

This is also an elegant way of setting up your AX-Sup too... allowing 'tunnel' connections to JACES and permitting 'tunnel' searches in point discoveries and BQL queries etc.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

Post Likes

CommPro BACnet over VPN

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my previous post:

I'm wondering if anybody has tried using JCI FX CommPro BACnet using the JACE (FX60) as the IP to MS/TP adapter. I know this works when you are on the local network, just wondering if it would also work over a VPN.

Post Likes
    So ... You want to download JCI FX Bacnet controllers via a vpn connection to a jace?

...might work if you start the VPN before starting the Bacnet CommPro... Ive noticed that CommPro doesnt enumerate the Ethernet adapters properly except at software start-up.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

Post Likes

LP-Kit204

New to site, so hope this post is in the right place, but here goes I am trying to hook up to a FEC controller with a LP-Kit204 adapter i am going through FCT and need to upload the program from the controller. But i am not for sure on how to configure the (connection parameters) portion. I went to the class a year or so ago, but you know how that goes. Dealing more with Tridium and Distech I don't mess with Johnson to much but it does come along now and again. Can anyone give me some insight on how to set this part up.

Thanks,

Post Likes
    That is a screen shot from PCT. It is used to program the Facility Explorer PCG line of controllers. You will need CCT to upload/commission a FEC controller. I believe you can use LP-Kit204 to program the PCG controllers but you said you have an FEC. I dont think you can connect to an FEC with that.

Post Likes
    Igotworms, you are correct after a little investagation today and talking with my local rep I was told the same thing. After talking with him he also stated that I might not evan be able to get into the controller since it is a branch device, and not a contractor controller ? . Again being awhile since I have played with Johnson I have a slight learning curve. Guess I will have to do some reading up this weekend......

Post Likes
    The LP-KIT204 is just a MS/TP to IP router made by Contemporary Controls, it will see any MS/TP device on the network. Works with FX/PCG/FEC, you will need the device software to upload/download which is different for all three.

Your local rep is correct .... the FEC is a branch device, the FX & PCG lines are a contractor device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    Igotworms,

Refring to OP:
    You need the LP-FXTPRO-0 software and a Kit204 to program/upload/download the BACnet FX-Field gear devices. Contact your local ABCS to obtain them.

FWIW: They are not as easy to work with as CCT or PCT and now where close to being as user friendly as the old HVAC-Pro.

Enjoy (ha, ha, ha !)
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    Thanks Kelly, texast had bumped this post up from 2010, it looks like he was trying to use KIT204 to commission a PCG. I don't think im ever going to use a legacy BACnet FX controller again after dealing with it in the past. Also, when using bacnet routing, you can jump across subnets as long as you forward port 47808 UDP

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Igotworms View Post
    Also, when using bacnet routing, you can jump across subnets as long as you forward port 47808 UDP
    I think that is only true if your receiving IP device accepts foreign device registration.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Igotworms View Post
    ...texast had bumped this post up from 2010, it looks like he was trying to use KIT204 to commission a PCG. I don't think im ever going to use a legacy BACnet FX controller again after dealing with it in the past...
    I know. I was just giving you a hard time about "FX- Field gear" versus the FX-PC devices.

BTW, I use the Kit204 ALL THE TIME on the FX-PCG stuff, works very well to discover rogue devices on a BACnet bus. The FX-Comm Pro BACnet utility/Kit204 has saved my butt a couple of times finding unknown devices on a trunk.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    I know. I was just giving you a hard time about "FX- Field gear" versus the FX-PC devices.

BTW, I use the Kit204 ALL THE TIME on the FX-PCG stuff, works very well to discover rogue devices on a BACnet bus. The FX-Comm Pro BACnet utility/Kit204 has saved my butt a couple of times finding unknown devices on a trunk.
    I'll do the same, just to make sure everything is on the network. Then, I'll fix the items that are offline. After I have everything talking to the KIT204, I'll wire it to the front end device. It's a comfort to know everything is up before dealing with the front end software.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey57 View Post

How can you discover/tell if a device is a rogue controller?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in