Does closing the air vents on the first floor help with temperature?

My house ( 2000 Square Feet) is built in 2008 and is located in the nothern climate (Toronto, Ontario) This few days proved to be quite hot and humid which makes it perfect to test out my new AC unit which is the York Affinity 8T 2 Ton.

What I found out is that the unit cools superbly and removes moisture very well but will lower the temperature of the first floor in less than 1 hour while the second floor still feels hot.

My thermostat is the Honeywell Prestige with the comfort station and I can keep the AC running until the temperature is achieved on the second floor, but this makes the first floor really cold and unbearable.

If i close most of the air vents registers on the first floor, will it divert more cold air to the second floor while keeping the first floor temp a bit higher?
    Last edited by wasserwareca; 05-25-2010 at 02:24 AM.

It CAN be done, but it's not recomended for most systems.

With the size of system you have, ideally you should have 8 vents completely open to prevent possible freezing of the coil.

It all depends on how many vents you have upstairs, whether or not you can damper the main floor.

are the air returns on the lower level? sounds like you need a return in the highest ceiling (hot air rises)

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    are the air returns on the lower level? sounds like you need a return in the highest ceiling (hot air rises)
    This is a good suggestion. But beware of those here who say return air location such as this cannot improve the system performance.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by wasserwareca View Post
    My house ( 2000 Square Feet) is built in 2008 and is located in the nothern climate (Toronto, Ontario) This few days proved to be quite hot and humid which makes it perfect to test out my new AC unit which is the York Affinity 8T 2 Ton.

What I found out is that the unit cools superbly and removes moisture very well but will lower the temperature of the first floor in less than 1 hour while the second floor still feels hot.

My thermostat is the Honeywell Prestige with the comfort station and I can keep the AC running until the temperature is achieved on the second floor, but this makes the first floor really cold and unbearable.

If i close most of the air vents registers on the first floor, will it divert more cold air to the second floor while keeping the first floor temp a bit higher?
    It sounds like you need a professional evaluation of the ducting system. You're home might be a candidate for a zoning system. Closing your registers downstairs will create a problem.

Closing vents is okay, provided that the furnace blower can still move enough air; the blower speed might need to be increased to compensate for the higher static pressure. (...caused by closing vents)

Most modern furnaces under 100 000 BTUs (yours is probably 60-80k if the builder sized it properly) have 3 ton blowers, so insufficient airflow shouldn't be a problem with a 2 ton a/c.

With the size of system you have, ideally you should have 8 vents completely open to prevent possible freezing of the coil.
    2 story 2000 sq ft house in Toronto should have at least 12 vents.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"