Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have an old, 1989, Trane Condenser (TTD718B100A0) and the fan motor is giving up a ghost due to worn bearings. Would someone please help me find a replacement motor that's in current production. Here're the motor specs both from the motor case and the Trane parts list on the "REDDI FACTS" sheet:

On the motor shell itself:
    Trane S#322P815
    230V 1/8 hp 1650 rpm

My physical measurements:
    shaft: 3 inches long
    Case dia: 5 inches
    Motor depth 3.5 inches
    Rotation: Counterclockwise

From the service pamphlet:
    (REDDI PARTS)
    CAT # WW94X0412
    230V, 60Hz, 1Ph, Closed Shell, CCW, 1650RPM, 1/8 HP, 1 SPD,
    FLA .9, LRA 2.2, Sleeve Bearings.

Thanks for your help.

I think I found it. I don't know how people in this business ever manage with all the motor variations and ways of determining direction of rotation. But it seems a FASCO 1050 will do the trick, just in case someone needs a similar motor.

Home is Azle Texas, work in Dallas-Fort Worth & surrounding areas.
    What does the 1050 stand for on the replacement motor? if r.p.m. then you are slowing down your fan and will not be happy.
    Quite often it seems better to go o.e.m. for parts such as motors if they vary from standard replacement parts normally stocked on truck.
    Need to check not only rated h.p. but amps also - sometimes what is rated at one h.p. is replaced by different h.p. if not o.e.m.

I would go back to Trane for this one.
    Life as an adult is much like life in kindergarten - If I make it through the day without crying or hitting some one, then it was a good day!

Thanks for your reply, Rabram. The 1050 is the FASCO model number. Here're the specs... Fasco D1050 A/C Fan Coil Motor
    Single Phase, Permanent Split Capacitor. 1/8 Horsepower. 1 Speed. 1550 RPM. 230 Volts. 1.1 Full load amps. Closed shaft end. Band mount. Sleeve bearings. Clockwise rotation. Shaft length = 3". Overall length = 6.25". 1/2" Shaft. 5" Diameter

Since my condenser is so old, I doubt anyone would carry this motor on their truck and would most likely need to order it. I'll see if any distributor has it in stock tomorrow.

Make sure it is a 60C ambient moter

Get the right motor from a Trane or A-S supplier. They aren't that expensive.

MOT3438

The Fasco motor mentioned has CW rotation, the correct motor is CCW.

We do it because we are Pros! We know what we are doing, how to do it, where to get the parts and this is our way of paying the bills.
    Hopefuly the Trane and American Standard distributors will not sell parts to DIY homeowners and another Pro will have the chance to pay his electric bill this month.

BaldLoonie, thank you for your help. I did carefully observe the rotation and it is clockwise, not ccw, as viewed from the shaft end. This particular motor is mounted in a bracket, shaft up. In fact, AO Smith makes a replacement motor (OTR4513) and it lists the original Trane motor number (22P815) as a cross reference. It does say ccw rotation but from the lead end. Thanks again for your help.

i am sure there are many knowlegable people here that could tell a D I Y where to place those wires.

If asked "What would I do in this situaton?" Well first I would look for an OEM motor to match RPM, and if I could not find an OEM motor I would go with a motor that had a slightly higher RPM then the one I pulled out. Simply stated CFM changes in proportion to RPM. If you say this unit is old then we can safely say that your condenser cannot reject the same amount of heat as it could when it was new. So by reducing the RPM you effectivly reduced the CFM you effectivly reduced the air across the coil.
    Bravo sir nice job!

Originally posted by t527ed
    [B]i am sure there are many knowlegable people here that could tell a D I Y where to place those wires. [
    /B]

How about in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing. Whatever you do, make sure you connect the GREEN wire to the units frame, as I don't want any kids electrocuted. You'd be smart to pay for a simple service call.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Well, never mind, I figured it out, ...Yes, I know the green wire is the ground and goes to the frame. The other two I figured out.
    Thanks anyway.
    No , I try to do all I can myself rather than pay hundreds of dollars for a simple installation. If for some reason i run into something I can't handle then I'll ante up for the high priced 15 minute service call. ......Sorry.
    But around Indy, most places are rip offs.

Originally posted by t527ed
    i am sure there are many knowlegable people here that could tell a D I Y where to place those wires.
    I can think of a good place to stick them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast