+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Getting More Done In Your Workday....

Post Likes
    What I like to do is locate my next call BEFORE I start driving there. I make a mental note of the exit I will be taking as well as which direction I will be going once I do exit.

Another tip is when the call comes in, I ask myself what I used for parts the last time I had a simular call.
    I might want to swing by the parts house and pick me up a motor or some gas or something.

Another tip is when your at an account and your not familiar with their layout .... get on the horn and find someone in your company who is familiar and you wont spent untold wasted time looking at or working on the wrong piece of equipment.

Please feel free to make contributions. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Make sure your dispatcher is not hung over.

Post Likes
    Payoff the cops to turn thier head when you fly by at 90mph

I have found that multi-tasking helps a lot. I carry my laptop with me through the day so as I am sitting and waiting for a vac down I can do an estimate.

If I don't have an estimate to do, get all the refrigerant lines done and connected and start the vac pump pumping as you do all the wiring. By the time you are done wiring, vac is done.

Don't put tools away until you are ready to walk away. If you put your brazing stuff back in the truck and then turn the vac pump on, you'll have a leak, guaranteed .

When doing planned service on a furnace.... You just have to get a system down. I can usually do a full blown service in 20 minutes if nobody is bugging me. That's just something that comes with experience I guess.

There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    A good punch list helps on those jobs that require a second trip. A compete model and serial number with job descripton that is recorded in the customer file helps. We like to print out the last service ticket for the customer with a work order. Calling ahead and confirming arrival times. No sense making a wasted trip, some folks forget or something came up.Digital job pictures showing all particulars, this is especially good for retrofits and changeouts.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Post Likes
    Whenever gassing up a rack, from down in the cases, I like to pull out the valve core and hook up a couple of jugs at a time. This makes a hundred pounds go in quickly.

I carry a H25-597, page 936, catalog # 194. Valve core removal tool.
    Without one of these tools in your arsenal, you are working in the stone age.

Post Likes
    like to pick up parts for recomended repairs for a few jobs all at once particulary on the way home so I can get a jump on the job and have some real coffee time eh!
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

oil-2-4-6-gas is offline Professional Member b&M _email server rejected
    Post Likes
    1)gas in the truck at the end of the day(2)get direct deposit(3)at the deli -order your food then shop for drinks or call in ahead-(4)any job you go on write down as much info as possible -mod# ser# motor size controls etc.. for next time--(5) When you need parts from the supply house call and check stock(6)if the supply house is busy and a long line go in the parking lot and call in (7)never put your tools away until you are done(8)organize your truck(9) take pictures

Post Likes

Keep the van or truck clean

Nothing helps organization better.

Post Likes
    Keep an open mind, and always look at the big picture. If you can’t figure it out get help. There is a big difference between making it run, and making it right.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Start at the beginning on every new job. If it's an a/c call check the furnace first and work your way outside.
    Don't talk too much till you are done, even then keep it short and simple. Try not to think about the next job, concentrate on the one you are on first. Don't be afraid to ask for money, if they offer it, take it.
    If all else fail, drop back and punt.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Keep your truck well stocked with all the parts and materials you regularly need for the type of work you do.

Nothing can screw up a simple job more than having to drop everthing and run to the supply house for something you should have had all along.

Post Likes
    For new installations we have a check list that includes all of the tools and parts we need, permits, financing info, rebate forms and warranty application. I try to do all of the financing and warranty paperwork once the equipment is picked up so I don't have as much to do at the end of the day.

Post Likes
    I try to be an efficeincy expert I give a flat rate so anytime I can figure out away to knock a few minutes off the work time I do it whether it be buying a more efficient tool or like sarge i actually have certain tool/material setups one geared towards install and the other to service. And I have the paperwork prepared in my own home. On blower motor changeouts where i dont have the motor aand need to go to the supply house I bring the whole thing with me and pull it at the supply house and reassemble it there so when I get back I only have to slap it in and hookup the wires... the less customer contact the better I have suffered from my foot in my mouth disease too many times.

[Edited by thehumid1 on 07-08-2004 at 03:32 PM]
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    get all the refrigerant lines done and connected and start the vac pump pumping as you do all the wiring.
    I pull all my vacuums at night, in my sleep, the day before an install, to save time.

Don't waste 2 hrs looking for the HO's Penthouse Mags or raiding the fridge, work at least 25 minutes straight before you get in the truck and drive around some more.

Drink beer only at night and stop before morning. Save most drug use for the weekends. Carry 2 packs of smokes at work so you don't have to stop to buy more.

You can go to the next job, before the 89° home your working on is cooled to a comfy 69°.

Oh yea, if you run out of drop light bulbs, steal new ones from unoccupied rooms in the home.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Originally posted by spotts
    Oh yea, if you run out of drop light bulbs, steal new ones from unoccupied rooms in the home. [/B]
    But always take the time to put your dead bulb into the HO's fixture. It's the right thing to do.

And never drink right from the juice bottle in the fridge. Take the time to find a nice glass. You'll enjoy it more.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    It also helps if you don't call in sick. Then you end up drinking your own beer.

Post Likes
    delete-wrong thread

[Edited by rob10 on 07-08-2004 at 08:25 PM]

Post Likes
    [QUOTE][i]Originallys
    Drink beer only at night and stop before morning. Save most drug use for the weekends. Carry 2 packs of smokes at work so you don't have to stop to buy more.

looking for the stash? check under the couch.
    °

Post Likes
    Pull vacuums at night? While your asleep?

Surely your joking.........right?

Post Likes

Talking Everybody but Spotts and Baub

Are putting me right to sleep.

Wow, you guys sure are dull.

No fun in your lives at all????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in