Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I remember hearing/reading 20 years ago , about kids in Florida who were found to be loitering around an a/c unit letting the freon out to sniff it and get 'a high' ; just wondering if this was a passing fad or if you guys have heard any simular stories since then ?? Sure hope they didnt light a match near it -- phosgene gas is nothing to play with.

Dave

About 25 years ago I left my freon can in a bar and went out to my truck to get something. When I came back a young guy was sniffing my freon. I really got in his sh*t! Those kind of idiots don't have enough brain cells to begin with, without losing more of them.

Hope you gave him a bill at $18 per lb. !

It's commonly called huffing. Kids have been doing this all along......it's no passing fad by any means. It seems a small percentage of every new generation has some uncontrollable need to go out and try anything and everthing to get high.

What these idiots don't know about refrigerant huffing is that they're not really getting a high from the gas itself, but from the asphyxiating effect it has by displacing the oxygen the brain needs to stay functional and alive.

I Googled "Freon huffing" and this is what I got:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=huffing+freon

Wagner makes lockable shrader caps for just this purpose.....to keep kids from killing themselves.

That first story on your Google was pretty sad indeed. Seems to me that theres a deeper emotional need that is not being met by kids who do this sort of thing.

When I was a maintenance supervisor at an apartment complex, I caught a kid about to go down on a condenser on the ground. When he saw me coming at him with anything but friendliness showing on my face, he took off like a shot, a big plastic trash bag flapping in the breeze over his shoulders. This was about six years ago or so, and the articles on the Google search were more recent than that. So I'm sure it's still a problem.

The deeper emotional need thing is probably right. Lots of kids these days are sidelined by parents, siblings, friends, etc. At the same time, I didn't have the most rosy childhood but it never occurred to me to go down on my unit in the backyard or hit up the guy on the next block for some dope. Gotta credit my mother for drilling in the absolute necessity of learning self respect. Without it, these kids are up a creek without a paddle before they even get a decent start on life. Sad.

Originally posted by shophound
    When I was a maintenance supervisor at an apartment complex, I caught a kid about to go down on a condenser on the ground. When he saw me coming at him with anything but friendliness showing on my face, he took off like a shot, a big plastic trash bag flapping in the breeze over his shoulders. This was about six years ago or so, and the articles on the Google search were more recent than that. So I'm sure it's still a problem.

The deeper emotional need thing is probably right. Lots of kids these days are sidelined by parents, siblings, friends, etc. At the same time, I didn't have the most rosy childhood but it never occurred to me to go down on my unit in the backyard or hit up the guy on the next block for some dope. Gotta credit my mother for drilling in the absolute necessity of learning self respect. Without it, these kids are up a creek without a paddle before they even get a decent start on life. Sad.
    Why didn't he just wrap the garbage bag around his head? Same effect !
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Originally posted by bb
    Why didn't he just wrap the garbage bag around his head? Same effect ! [/QUOTE]

You would think so, but as I understand our physiology, the body's breathing mechanism doesn't respond to lack of oxygen. You only start breathing harder due to a buildup of CO2 in the lungs. If you try to suffocate yourself the body will respond.....it won't let you. With refrigerant huffing you're body doesn't know it's suffocating.

low on freon

Don't always assume there is a leak if freon is added to a unit. Sometimes it could be neighborhood kids huffing the unit.

We had a group of kid's that had somehow got hold of a set of gauge's and went through a trailer park filling a trash bag with 22 and huffing.I hope it's not a sign of the time's.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by midhvac
    [B]About 25 years ago I left my freon can in a bar and went out to my truck to get something.

I've heard of trying to take a goat into a cubs game, but taking a freon can into a bar? You got a happy face painted on it for 'happy hour'?

there was an article in contracting business magazine around a year ago about a tech that killed himself in his van huffing freon. you may be able to get a copy from them. http://www.contractingbusiness.com

I have heard it effects your heart too.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast