Thread: Maintenance

Any and every company uses maintenance as a selling point. How's this for a thought?
    1 The drain pans look like crap.
    2. The coils are filthy.
    3. The condensers are flaking.
    4. There are oil leaks all over the unit. yah di, ya di yah.
    The other company never did a thing for you thats why your equipment runs like crap.

Soooo, How come the lowly refrigerator at home 99.99999% of the time gives you cold beer at your becon call, with 20 years of crap on the condenser coil. The only time the dirt disappears is when mama speaks those dreaded words. "Its time for a new fridge."
    HMMMMM!
    Kinda takes maintenance to a new level. LOL

Totally different animal

refrigerator is operating within an air conditioned space. move the condenser outside and the story will be different.
    refrigerators don't have air filters that need to be changed, and clogged evaporators if they are not
    refrigerators wont kill you with carbon monoxide in the winter if it has a problem.

I actually clean the condenser on my refrigerator every summer and when I did a lot of appliances would have several every week in the summer that all they needed was to be cleaned.

pilot is offline Member- bad email - server kicked back
    The condensor fins are a bit wider than your run of the mill cond unit. Mamma needs a new fridge, well lets get her a new one!

While I agree totally with the other replies, Pilot does have a point when it comes to the refrigeration side of the equipment, should we really be checking pressures every three months or whenever your company does it. How many systems have lose a small amount of charge each time the pressures are checked, until one day its low enough that the compressor is not cooled properly "POOF" another compressor to change. or someone decides its low and adds to much refrigerant together with a dose of non-condensibles, you know what happens next.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world.. those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Most , if not all of those 20 year old residencial refrigerators are static condensers. A whole differant animal.

If a unit loses enough gas from prssure checks to die, why didn't the guy doing the checks know enough to top off the charge, without over charging it. Mama's frig, isn't on a roof in the rain,snow and sleet.
    And know one is jacking the stat up and down.

But, some times a (service tech?) is a units worse enemy.

So buy your Mama a new frig.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If a unit loses enough gas from prssure checks to die, why didn't the guy doing the checks know enough to top off the charge, without over charging it.

My thoughts exactly.

We had a full maintenance agreement (expensive) on the two large tonnage split systems at my building. Last year the powers that be handed the baton to me. I can only say I wish I had been monitoring these guys closer while under their contract. Not once did they change the drive belts on the VFD air handler (5 years old). The compressor compartments in the condensers were full of trash and oil. One compressor low on oil, both systems undercharged.
    I cleaned it all up, changed the belts, charged according to manufacturer's chart, fixed oil leak and topped off oil, and knock on wood we're cruisin'.

But, some times a (service tech?) is a units worse enemy.

Case in point.

Attaching guages to a unit simply to record pressures for meaningless data collection is crazy but many contractors do it. Worse yet, they hire newbies to do it that couldn't spot a problem if they found one, they are simply collecting and recording data so the company can rave to the customer about their "101 point check list". On unitary equipment proper maintenance should include checking the delta T, line temps, belt, and clean, clean, clean. Clean the coils and the drain lines, blower etc. I saw a guy at the dump once collecting window units that people were throwing away. He said that 1/2 were simply dirty and he could clean and paint then resell them! On larger equipment with multiple staging and unloading capabilities, motors should be megged, pressures and temps recorded under different loads, and oil samples should be taken and analyzed. When you have a customer with a variety of equipment, doing the smaller equipment my way will allow you the time to do the large equipment thouroughly.