I remember hearing the adage "never argue politics or religion" After visiting ARP for awhile I now see why that's good advice.

I bet not one person has ever read an opposing opinion and said eureka! I seen the light! and changed their opinion.

People tend to see their own beliefs as facts and opposing beliefs as b.s. and no amount of evidence, arguing or power of persuasion actually persuades anyone.

Lastly it seems that when one tires of explaining their reasons for the opinions they hold they just say screw it and attack their opponents intelligence, character, loyalty, patriotism etc. Have fun guys ...sometimes it's good entertainment...but don't really believe you're going to change anybody's mind
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Yeah, that's why I quit coming here till the Fahrenheit 911 post got moved, I just wanted to follow it some, I think I am done now.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Ozone, if your just another average guy who comes here to learn and share ... "I'd say I agree with what you jus said."

But if your a man of prayer ... ponder the epistles of Paul when he writes to argue the faith.
    Truly there are but few here who can or even would argue their faith in Christ. In a sensible manner. In a pleasing manner.
    Mostly there are just people who get upset and do lash out at others, like you wrote ... and begin insulting their intelligence and such.
    Although .. honestly ... some have NOTHING to lose or fear losing .....

Seriously... read Ephesians chapter six about with whom our battle are fought against. It is NOT against flesh and blood that we fight, but it is a spiritual war being fought against powers and principalities of darkness in Heavenly places.
    In other words, it is fought outside the dimension of the physical sences and physical realm.

Today I'm just proud to live in a country where I can voice my opinion without fear. This country would probably go to hell if we all thought the same.

Originally posted by duckman373
    Today I'm just proud to live in a country where I can voice my opinion without fear. This country would probably go to hell if we all thought the same.
    I agree with you it is great to live here and have free speech.
    But it's kind of like the freedom I experienced living and working on an orchard many years ago.

The farm supplied us with a 12 gage and had a bounty on rodents which ate at the tree roots. So each morning we grabed the shot gun and headed into the groves.

Only stipulation was this; we had to be careful about our pellets. Where they landed when they came down. We could hurt somebody if we werent careful.
    It was obvious we could not see where all of our shot would land.
    So we had to exercise caution. And sometimes we simply just had to miss a good shot due to the fallout that others would face.

Same goes with our freedom of speech.

When the NY Times printed that cover; "GOD IS DEAD", a whole lot of people were quite upset over it.

Many had no clue what was going on. And some knew exactely what they were doing. They were goading folks on to start an arguement.

If someone's faith is down and you go talk with them ... they might just say all manner of babble to you. But it's done in private and NOT printed across the headlines.

We should always exercise restraint when we dont know who might get hit with some of our stray words.

Afterall, words can do more harm than bullets. And you dont need a permit to utter foul or stay words. You dont have to be over a certain age and concealed carry is never an issue.

When I go venting about managers who do this or dont do that ... I am not naming names and attacking specific individuals.
    And I hope that what I write has a positive affect, in the very end, upon those who read my words.
    And then again, sometimes my venting is just venting and has no rhyme to it. It is just getting a load off my chest.

In short ... we should be mature and thoughtful about whom our words affect.

R-12 ....Most of what you said nailed it....and maybe it's just good to get your feelings and frustrations out.I always seem to feel better after a good vent.

Originally posted by ozone drone
    R-12 .... I always seem to feel better after a good vent.
    Me too.

It's nice to just let it out and not carry that poison around in your heart for very long. Such stuff can kiil a healthy man in short order. Seriously!

Look at Popa Dice for example. At first glance he may appear to be a shallow heartless individual.

But once you've read over some of his posts ... you come to the realization that he is simply a fine human being with deep roots.
    For example, he takes in stray animals. Hence Jack was rescued from the zoo or the animal shelter.
    He taught Jack how to drive.
    Dice is also an inventor. He came up with a saddle, harness to put onto Jack so the goat could carry Dice's tools around.

You hear a lot of guys calling Dice names likeld goat or old coot. In reality ... they are just referring to his maskot, Jack

And y'all saw that thread Dice started; 9mm. That's as American as Apple Pie gets!
    So Dice is all heart!

And when he decided to start that other up and coming thread entitled; "Who Wants To Argue With Me?" ... y'all know why he did that ..... don't you?

It was to get out into the open all the pent up agression that a lot of refrigeration men hold inside!
    He actually set aside his own pride to open that thread and bare his heart for others.
    For the good of the forum!

And that, my friend, is just one more reason I love coming here.
    People have a sence of humor as well as great knowledge of the industry.

You're going to inflate Dice's ego with all that praise...but he does have the best sense of humor on the boards..and traffic here would drop if he left the forum.

Originally posted by ozone drone
    I remember hearing the adage "never argue politics or religion" After visiting ARP for awhile I now see why that's good advice.

I bet not one person has ever read an opposing opinion and said eureka! I seen the light! and changed their opinion.

People tend to see their own beliefs as facts and opposing beliefs as b.s. and no amount of evidence, arguing or power of persuasion actually persuades anyone.

Lastly it seems that when one tires of explaining their reasons for the opinions they hold they just say screw it and attack their opponents intelligence, character, loyalty, patriotism etc. Have fun guys ...sometimes it's good entertainment...but don't really believe you're going to change anybody's mind
    Ozone I have to agree with you I turned away from God for over 12 years and I heard people talking of their faith and God was their salvation and you can do all things through him and yada yada yada, my thought was get away from me you religious freaks.

Just to give you insight I listened to Metallica, Guns n Roses,was very negative and pessimistic, and really didnt care about my family life and what these Jesus freaks were preaching only pushed me away, I was like how do they know what is right for Joey.

Flash forward to earlier this year my marriage is in near shambles, things are going bad. Now some people have heard him speak or even seen him, me myself, his presence overcame me and he showed me my life from a third person point of view. Dont get me wrong my wife and I are in counseling, the fights have been pretty bad this week, but things are going to get better, you see once you truly become a Christian that is when Satan throws everything he can at you because he owned me for a very long time and now that he doesnt he is trying to do all he can to drive a wedge between me and God, the secret is Im a child of God now and Satan doesnt have a wedge that can withstand our Lord's power.

Now that Im a Christian I am trying to win souls for God and I may talk to 500 people and only turn 1,but that 1 means alot, but what Im trying to say is that maybe talking will never work, like I stated in my first part of my post, but it is my Christian duty, and fortunately for me even though I never believed what other Christians told me I was blessed enough to be touched by God himself
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Originally posted by Diceman
    Yeah, that's why I quit coming here till the Fahrenheit 911 post got moved, I just wanted to follow it some, I think I am done now.

I know what ya mean....this little arena just pisses ya off really bad is all.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Originally posted by joey791

Now that Im a Christian I am trying to win souls for God and I may talk to 500 people and only turn 1,but that 1 means alot, but what Im trying to say is that maybe talking will never work, like I stated in my first part of my post, but it is my Christian duty, and fortunately for me even though I never believed what other Christians told me I was blessed enough to be touched by God himself [/B]

I guess I did over-generalize.... your words may be a comfort and turn someone's life around just at a point when they are at rock bottom and are seeking answers....

I think I was mostly referring to the lashing out ...mouth foam attacks on others that some "debates" eventually wind up being.

joey Hang in there. Your reaction is natural to a church overdose. Find a balance and you will be fine.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein