Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking A real whopper of an antique AC system!

Hi everyone! I have a rare find! My neighbor has an old Janitrol Ac/Gas package unit furnace and believe it or not, the AC section is in good shape! In this economy he needs the AC which is still working, but low on refrigerant, repaired. We decided to gut the Gas Furnace part and it is fairly easy to just pull the heat exchanger and gas related parts and chuck' em.
    My question is refrigerant. If the ID info is mostly missing on such an old unit, February 13th 1964, will this unit likely have refrigerant 500?
    I haven't really delved into it yet, but I'm about to go exploring trying to help my buddy out! Thanks!

Try looking at the inside coil for a sticker maybe it has a expanson valve look at the color of the head maybe this will help.

Took a closer look at it just now. I'll work on it today to see just how far into it I'll be to make it a straight cool by removing the gas furnace section. I'm in Arizona, so the usual problems of rust and deterioration are not present! Gotta love the Sonoran Desert!
    It has a fixed orifice device for the expansion valve. This unit is so old it is Robin's Egg Blue!
    This one will be a fun project. Thanks for the start Mike.................

How well do you know your way around a PT chart? We can't discuss much technical stuff in this section, but a PT chart can help you narrow down the refrigerant type.

Something that old and still running? Amazing.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    How well do you know your way around a PT chart? We can't discuss much technical stuff in this section, but a PT chart can help you narrow down the refrigerant type.

I know! American Made products and ingenuity! I cannot imagine being able to fix anything else this old and I got lucky. I probably should have mentioned that I'm a certified Technician with almost 3 years experience after spending 14 years with the Maycor Corporation as a commercial appliance service man. I still went back to school for 2 years while on the job to sharpen my skills and keep up with current events.
    I'm sure I can narrow it down with a PT chart, I just thought I'd throw this one out there for grins and giggles. This thing is in Amazing shape for it's age and this will be one for the record books! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Hey some of us are older than that and still running errr...... at least limping
    along.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

my parents have an upright freezer that they bought used right before I was born, and I'm 44 now, and there has never been anything done to it except for the occasional defrosting/cleaning.

Shawn

Odds are very good it is 22. Carrier was the one that liked 500 in an old A/C.

did anyone besides Carrier use r-500??

if you determine that is what you need i could sell you some........

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Odds are very good it is 22. Carrier was the one that liked 500 in an old A/C.
    My thoughts too. To my knowledge Janitrol never used anything but 22 back then. Carrier was the only odd duck when it came to residential cooling systems.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Take some pictures of that puppy.

My guess is that unit used R-22. Carrier is only company that used R-500 as far as I know. Janitrol was made in NY State back then and maybe some of that 500 got in the water supply!!!

Talking

I'm positive now that it is R-22. The compressor has been swapped out with a Tecumseh in 1984. That is the date on the compressor even though the whole unit is 02/13/1964! I know that Carrier used R-500 back then, but I wasn't sure if they were the only ones.

What I've done so far is to remove the old Gas Furnace burners completely with all related accessories such as relays, overburn or rollouts, inducer motor, gas valves etc...... I wouldn't trust the gas burner to not burn down the house!! Once all that was stripped out, the AC section looked good and since this is Arizona and we are already at 93* today, any AC is welcome! The case assembly is clean and no rust or rot, but the paint job of course is badly faded, but it is solid and a bit low on refirgerant, but I have no doubt once cleaned up, charged and rewired for a different sequence of events, it will cool just fine!

I'd love to send some pictures of this including what I've done if that would be appropriate for this forum. This would not be a DIY, but more like a pictorial restoration. If this is ok, I'll put them here. It's kind of a neat old piece of history and damn if it isn't built to be rebuilt and used!

COOL! Pun intended!

The oldest system I ever worked on was a Carrier. It was installed here on a home in Scottsdale in 1956! It was in extremely good condition and had side discharge on the condensor section of the split system. The homeowner had built a gazebo over it to protect it from solar influence and any time rust showed up on it he had sanded it down and repainted it!

It was always kept clean of debri and serviced regularly and if I didn't know any better it could have been new, it looked that good! Won't get much more than 6 SEER out of it I'm sure, but I was asked if I would replace it. I replied that since they both go up into the mountains during the 2 1/2-3 hottest months anyway and it is working so well, why?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast