Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The reason your state and all others have mandatory seat belt laws is the Federal Government. They passed a law that a state must be a certain percentage compliant or lose federal tax dollars for Highways. It is a form of extortion. Personally I always wear my seat belt and always have, but it is my choice. I also will not let some one ride in my vehicle without their belt on.
    If you don't want to wear your belt drive a 1-ton or larger vehicle they are or use to be exempt from the mandatory law.
    Here in Houston the cops pull two or three patrol cars up on the pavement under the "U" turn under the freeway. When you come around to make a "U" turn they nail you if your seat belt isn't on. I have on occasion taken mine off as I go by them just to prove a point. When they do this they have a steady stream of cars pulled over and the city coffers gain much revenue.

Yeah swat, if ya smoke weed you really better wear the belt.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by gschra11
    Originally posted by pjs
    You can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but you gotta wear a seat belt in a car.
    What state are you living in???

that's the way it is in PA............just recently passed

[ deleted by Boss

sorry, but you are a way of topic and perhaps in the wrong forum ]

[Edited by arc8 on 07-01-2004 at 10:33 PM]

Originally posted by air1
    This is mostly due to the high cost of auto insurance. The insurance industry is out of control!
    they're likely trying to break even from the cost of 'rebuilding' all those folks busted up in accidents not wearing seat belts.

Originally posted by justwarmingup
    Originally posted by gschra11
    Originally posted by pjs
    You can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but you gotta wear a seat belt in a car.
    What state are you living in???

that's the way it is in PA............just recently passed
    Here in Iowa you don't have wear a helmet or shoes. You could ride down the open highway in your skivies if you so wanted. But, yep, seatbelts are mandatory.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

I alway use my seat belt.

I lost a cousin who was 21, a year younger than me. he was always the stubborn hot head guy, and he never used his seatbelt.

He was down in Kas. visiting friends, he went off the road and hit the guard rail along the highway. He was thrown across the seat and hit his head on the door and killed on the spot. After that accident, it made his parents start using seat belt. he could of walked away.. His truck was still driveable..

I used to do Police Reserve, and see people who made it with seat belts, and one who didn't make it cuz they didn't use one, and could of walked away if they had it on. It was NOT a good feeling making a call to a family member who lost a love one cuz of that.

The respond from infwsdm saying "go get hit by a car doing it" was not a good thing to say.. Officers are guy like anyone. They have everday life, family and friends. They are just doing thier jobs of what the laws say. They dont make them.. The Congress/Govt does.

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by air1
    In Oregon and Calif. one ticket can get you fired or disqualify you from getting a job. I wounder if Cops even consider how much of an impact on minor violation can have on a persons life. This is mostly due to the high cost of auto insurance. The insurance industry is out of control!
    I wonder if the violators consider how much of an impact this can have on their life...

Seat belts don't save lives, staying out of accidents does. The majority of accidents have driver inattention as a factor. I thought harder about putting a radio in my truck than about wearing a seatbelt. I was worried about distractions.
    If that's the case, phones talking and radois should also be outlawed so you can drive, and only be driving when you're behind the wheel.
    I heard that the autoban is 4 times safer than the US interstate, even with the higher speeds and seat belts are useless when you crash that fast. They don't allow tailgating and other irresponsible behavior, though.

How often does someone get a ticket for tailgating or some behavor that eventually leads to a pile up in rush hour traffic? Not as many as speeding does, I expect. Getting uptight about seatbelts is like requiring smoke detectors in houses, but not demanding the wiring be inspected every 20 or 30 years for fire hazards.

My protest for seat belt laws would be a tee-shirt with a selt belt printed on the front, and "seat belt laws suck" on back, or maybe "I've got mine on"

Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

freedom

Some people want the freedom we are suppose to have in this country. Freedom to choose whether they want to buckle up or not. It's their body if they don't care if they go thru the windshield, why should anyone else? You want to crash your brains on the street it should be your choice.

We use to take off the helmets when we wanted to, and let'em try to catch us. Man that was fun, couldn't tell you how many cops I've out run.

Insurance companies and lawyers should not be making our laws.

We have a seatbelt law that (should be repealed) like the helmet law was.

And the cops that would give you a ticket for no seat belt are turds, looking to build their jacket so when they go up for promotion it looks good.

In Canada its been the for as long as I remember.
    You can adjust the level of most belts or get a clip to lower it a bit so it isn't across your neck.
    Easier to get used to a belt on your shoulder than learning how to feed yourself again.
    Think of your family that may have to take care of you if you don't die in the accident.
    People have mentioned in other posts that most dont learn unless you hit them in the pocket book. ie, the HO on a nuisance call, charge them and they will check the furnace switch before calling next time.

Funny how guys curse the hacks about not obeying the trade codes but have no problem disrespecting the laws.

In New Jersey they are trying to pass an insurance surcharge, so a seat belt ticket could cost you about $400.

I try to make it a habit to wear a seat belt as I know its the right thing to do but, with every new car having front and now side air bags I can't help but think its revenue drivin.

DHC

Originally posted by benncool
    [BThe thing is that they get grants of money from the Feds to enforce the seat belt law. I suppose they have to show so many tickets in order to justify the grant money.

[Edited by benncool on 07-01-2004 at 08:14 AM] [/B]
    ...and the cop told me one of the stipulations for the grant money is that they can't cut anybody any slack for it.as he was writing me a ticket. $134.00 . I always buckle up cuz the damn beep beep that won't shut up til you do. I had just got in the van and was reaching for it when they saw me at one of those U turns at the overpass.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast