Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I feel an adult should be able to make the choice to wear one or not but it really pisses me off to see a car with kids climbing all over in the back yet the adults are sometimes buckeled in the front. I even see babies laying on the seat sucking a bottle. Some say "well I'm just going up the street" When my son was about 5 years old we were driving back to the house in my big 4X4 from Pizza Hut. Literally just down to the end of a residential street. I told my son not to worry about the seat belt we were only 1/4 mile from the house. This kid blows a stop sign causing me to slam on the brakes sending my son slamming into the dash busting his lip and nose.

My problem is that I get closiphobic(sp) with a seat belt tight across my shoulder. So I went to Home Depot and bought a little spring clamp that hold the seat belt loose across my shoulder. I know I am going to die but I am with-in the law. Plus it stops that fricking bell from dinging in my Ford truck.

The War Department and I were caught in a road block over in NYS. The guy was being a nice guy and only gave her a ticket since she was driving. $75. could have been $150.

Here in VT it is also a secondary offense. They have to stop you for something else. Well it is also against the law in VT to have anything hanging from your rear view mirra. My service manager got stopped because he had a SpongeBob air freshner that his kid gave him on the mirra. $75 for the air freshner and $75 for the seat belt.

They also stopped a little old lady because she had a rosary beads hanging on the mirra and ticketed her. That one made the newspaper.

The thing is that they get grants of money from the Feds to enforce the seat belt law. I suppose they have to show so many tickets in order to justify the grant money.

[Edited by benncool on 07-01-2004 at 08:14 AM]

Talking

Ya I was railroaded too last summer. County Officer pulled me over and as I contended with him I was not going 82 I was going 79. Wasn't his fault, and it wasn't my fault, it was my wifes fault. If only she would have said "Isn't that a cop" just a bit sooner there would have been no $90 ticket!
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Originally posted by pjs
    You can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but you gotta wear a seat belt in a car.
    What state are you living in???
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Re: Tickets are written to generate revenue...period!

Originally posted by maintenanceguy
    I always wear mine but this is America and if your not hurting anyone else, you ought to be able to do what you want.

Them days are long gone.
    I agree getting pulled over for that sucks, but......if ya don't wear your seatbelt you're nuts.
    As far as motorcycles, well, riding one of them around is also crazy, helmet or no
    Sounds like you have a real problem with authority huh?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by benncool
    My problem is that I get closiphobic(sp) with a seat belt tight across my shoulder.
    That's the reason I don't wear a seatbelt. It is distracting having that shoulder strap cutting into your neck. I'll have to go to the depot and get one of those spring doo hickeys.

I used to not wear mine at all. Now I'm *learning* to wear it but still forget sometimes.

Haven't had a ticket in 35 years, so I'm not so worried about getting busted for the seat belt when they stop me for another violation. I know they save lives, and I know I could get fined, so I'm trying to get in the habit.

No offense but your attitude sucks. You told the guy to get run over while writing the ticket. Do you have any idea how many times a year that happens? It has happened here twice this sumer already and it is not something I would allow any one I knew to say with out a severe ass chewing and depending on who and how close I was to them an ass whoopin for being such a jerk.

The guy is doing his job. He does not choose the laws but merely enforces them. You really need to have a hell of a lot more respect for the civil servants of your community whether you like what they do or don't. Man you just lost a ton of respect IMO and maybe it does not matter but God dang that is some ridiculous behavior you got there.

Talking

Seat belt use is mandatory in my trucks.

Here in Michigan what they do now is set up a sign that say's "Seat belt enforcement zone", thay have a cop with his lights flashing watching as traffic is passing by, if you do not have a belt on he radios to his buddies 1/4 mile farther down and they pull you over!

Everyone gets a ticket! What burns my onion is that it's done mainly to raise revenue.

In Oregon and Calif. one ticket can get you fired or disqualify you from getting a job. I wounder if Cops even consider how much of an impact on minor violation can have on a persons life. This is mostly due to the high cost of auto insurance. The insurance industry is out of control!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

[ deleted by Boss ]

[Edited by arc8 on 07-01-2004 at 10:31 PM]

It is impossible for us to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law"

I got into a similar debate a few years ago whether or not it was lawful to grow weed or if it was against God's will to do drugs and the druggies theory was "well we have the knowledge given to us by God to do it so why not?" and my responce was well we also have the knowledge of how to make guns and bullets as well as nuclear devices so there for we must be just when using them and it is ok. They were silent.

Whether you like it or not it is a law and does not matter what you want to do it is the law. Now if you want to write your congressman and you are doing it out of protest and you want to make a statement about it then more power to you but at least there would be a more mature about it.

That's the reason I don't wear a seatbelt. It is distracting having that shoulder strap cutting into your neck.

[/B][/QUOTE]

You need a New York city phone book to sit on.
    If every a...... could do this,I wouldn't have a job...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast