+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problems with Florida Heat Pump (FHP) system

Post Likes

Confused Problems with Florida Heat Pump (FHP) system

Local mechanical contractor installed a FHP WP-072 in our Minnesota home in December 2006. This is a 6 ton open loop system, to heat/cool approximately 2500 square ft home. We have had numerous problems with this system, and wondering if FHP is the issue or the installer. We have had to call for repair about every 4-6 months since install. Contractor has replaced different relays, and two different start capacitors, all on separate trips. He has had to come back every spring and fall to re-adjust some setting on the unit, as it would "freeze up" in the summer when switched to the 'cool' setting, and then in the fall, would not heat sufficiently until he 're-set' those same settings or replaced parts. After two years had passed, he started charging labor for this. In March of this year something inside burned out and made the utility room smell like it was on fire. We were charged $250 for him to replace something he called the 'start up' system he says shorted against the inside of the heat pump and burned out. Right now we are waiting on him to come and reset something again, as we switched to 'cool' 3 days ago, and now there is a stuck relay causing a circulating pump to run 24/7, and the system doesn't even turn on. We have asked about warranty, which he says ran out in 2008. I even asked for a complete replacement, as we feel we have a lemon on our hands - he said we would have to deal with FHP. Emails to FHP go unanswered. My parents have had a heat pump (different brand) for over 15 years - with no problems since day one. I'm really disappointed with this, don't know what to do, and can't afford a completely new system. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt you will get anything from Florida Heat Pump. The first thing I would do is contact a contractor with experience in open loop systems. I would also have a heat load calculation done on your house to make sure your system is not oversized causing short cycling situations. I am not a big fan of FHP because of their questionable customer support, but it sounds like you may have some setup problems. The unit is not that different than any other brand so it should be able to be setup to operate correctly. See if you can locate the FHP distributor in your area and explain the issues and see if they can get you in touch with a local expert.

Post Likes
    I second what Freonjohn is saying.....Sounds like this guy doesnt know exactly what he is doing, or just doesnt have experience with FHP and open loop systems.

Post Likes
    Is this a new home with the ductwork designed for the 6 ton geo or is it an existing home? Was the ductwork enlarged to handle all the addition airflow requirements?
    If it's an existing home, then the ductwork would be half the size needed to handle the (6 ton geo) airflow requirements.

Post Likes
    All very good points, we don't prefer open loop but have a few in service and do not have the problems you describe. They are tricky to get set up right. It probably is that the solenoids were not set up and causing the problems.Good Luck.

Post Likes

fhp

Have a question, we have a fhp system that is a pump and dump system. Our well water pump failed when the fhp system was in the air conditioning mode and ran for two or three hours with no water in the system. The compressor will not start now, did we burn it out or is there a reset button? Also, is there some device that can be installed to shut off the unit if there is no water?

Post Likes
    Personally, not a big fan of FHP. We used to rep them back in the day but we recently picked up ClimateMaster's line of geos.

Quote Originally Posted by waterloman View Post
    Have a question, we have a fhp system that is a pump and dump system. Our well water pump failed when the fhp system was in the air conditioning mode and ran for two or three hours with no water in the system. The compressor will not start now, did we burn it out or is there a reset button? Also, is there some device that can be installed to shut off the unit if there is no water?
    Sounds like your compressor probably got pretty damaged. Hopefully there is an internal safety. What I would recommend for the flow proof is some sort of flow switch like a paddle switch that makes and breaks your 24v circuit. That way if there is no flow, there is in turn no 24v supplying the contactor.

Post Likes

Angry lefty

I installed two FHP water to water heat pumps with a split system where there is radiant heating in the floors and Chilled water Air handlers for the A.C. Unfortunately I started with closed loop systems as recommended by FHP with the use of Slim Jims (Stainless Steel Transfer panels) hanging under the Dock which were too small to accommodate the heat pumps in the heating mode. They would freeze up even with 70% antifreeze in the system. I finally opened the WP060 system to a pump and dump system and it worked perfectly in the heating mode for seven months. I then switched over to the cooling mode and the system crashed. Since having two separate units I am able to switch components from one to the other to verify whether they are faulty or not. All of the electrical wiring and controls (relays) and pumps are working properly. The second unit works the way it should but the problem one has been crashed since the middle of May without any solution. I keep getting a low pressure alert. I was able to get it running by bypassing the Low Pressure Switch but for only a short time like about a minute and half. FHP wanted me to do pressure testing on all flow systems but without the pump working it was useless. Their response is very poor.
    I share your frustration.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in