Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unhappy

Thanks Baub. I'll interpret your response as...........well with all due respect, I'm not sure what to make of it, but I have a pretty good idea.

Thanks for your expertise thus far.

I value the opinions I have received from this forum. Thanks all for taking the time!!!!

sorry, needadvice

It was a bad night, body hurting, and generally PO'd. Just didn't want to be negative anymore.

Just some more thoughts...

Outside installation, from the pictures, doesn't look like a good option.
    A free standing cooler would be tough there, with running in and out of a residential door/screen door, stairs w/ a 90deg turn. Attached to the building would be tough... have to raise the cooler floor level maybe 18"?

So you are back inside. You have read my arguments against your idea. If you do it, use Lusker's idea of a low profile, ceiling mounted evaporator. The best idea for a long narrow cooler. More $ tho.

You said in your first post, there will be a 5 year lease, and the building is too small. Consider first, under the terms of the lease, will the landlord own any "permanent improvements" to the building? Down the road, when you are making buckets of money, you have to have more space, and want to move... worse case, landlord owns the cooler, or you have to move it. It's never the configuration you want the second time, and any walk-in was only built to be assembled once. You can take 'em apart and put them back together, but they are never as tight as the first time. (I only mean this in a refrigeration sense).

So here is my idea. You won't like it, but consider it. Separate coolers. Get a two door Silver King or Bev. Air display case for the front. Then get several cheap single, or double door coolers, like Arctic-Air for your storage. Add a freezer or two. When you are sucessful and move out, you can sell them to another start-up, and put in the cooler set-up you need at the new location. Yes, I know A/C costs will be higher, but ya get heat in the winter!

Let us know how things work out. Best of luck, baub
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Smile

Thanks for the last post Baub. I did try to take your recomendations on the layout of equipment, but it seems that economically we are better off with the Walk-In, inside. Perhaps I can get some input on the brand. I thought we were well on our way to placing the order, but then I went to NYC today. Here's what happened.

Well, we are still at the decision stage, but only because I visited the "The Bowery" in NYC today looking to find deals on some other small equipment and small wares needed for the store. After walking around among the many Restaurant Equipment stores, talked to a guy from a pretty reputable company called "Bari Restaurant Supply" and the walk-In subject came up. Turns out he gave me a price on a box that seems like a great deal, as well as great prices on a couple of Deli cases.

Originaly we were set on ordering an "Americooler" Box, 6x12x7 with 2 - 23" doors on the 6 ft. side, SS Floor, etc. (I don't think I'm supposed to mention price, so I won't). We were ordering from a local guy who services all appliances commercial and residential. He said this is a good box for the price.

Now the guy from the Bowery in NYC quoted me a price for the same size, same features, but a brand name called "SureKool" (spelling?). The price difference is a savings of at least $2,900 compared to the "Americooler" Box. The price includes delivery, they assemble the box on-site, I just have to have the compressor hooked and I need to get a price on that. Or I coud get the box from them (for even less $), and have a local guy sell me a Compressor and install it. Need to get a price on a compressor with installation.

A "Leader" (spelling?) 6ft Deli and 4ft Pastry case is about$1,800 each savings compared to the "Beverage Air" cases I was going to buy from a local Restaurant Supply.

The prices I was quoted at "The Bowery" seem too good to be true if I compare them to the quotes I have received locally the past few weeks. I plan on calling my local refrigeration guy to see if he can get the same box, but in the mean time, can anyone give me their thoughts on quality where the "SureKool" vs "Americooler" Box? And the "Leader" vs. the "Beverage air" Cases?

I sure appreciate your input. Thanks !!!!

I would think that the price was given was not for the same equipment. Remember that you have evaporators, compressors, time clocks , thermostats, and the size (H.P)of the equipment as well as brand(very important). I can tell you the stuff from a non servicing seller will be the least expensive possible as well as many components not supplied. I hope you can find some one to install the equipment, which will have absolutely no warrenty since the guy installing it did not sel it you will have to get the seller to honor warrenty.

As for your deli case I would not even go with some brand I have not heard of and I have been servicing this type of equipment for 11 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12