Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 27, 2004
    OP-ED COLUMNIST
    Are They Losing It?
    By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

One thing you've got to say for Dick Cheney: No one will ever again dismiss the vice presidency as a pitcher of warm spit. Mr. Major League Potty Mouth has shown that, with obsequiousness to the president and obtuseness to the facts, a vice president can run the world. Right into the ground.

This week, it's not just Democrats who are questioning whether Vice is losing it. Now, even some in the White House are saying it's bizarre that he chose a class photo-op on the Senate floor to suggest that Senator Patrick Leahy do something that you won't even find described in Bill Clinton's "My Life."

While Democratic lawmakers delayed final passage of a defense spending bill so they could mingle with Michael Moore, the once sweat-free Bushies were acting jangly.

First Vice chewed out The Times for accurately reporting that the 9/11 commission said there was no collaborative relationship between Saddam and Al Qaeda. Then Paul Wolfowitz called the reporters risking their lives in Iraq craven rumormongers. Then came Mr. Cheney's F-word. (Not Fox, the other one.)

Finally, President Bush got agitated when an Irish TV interviewer said most of the Irish found the world more dangerous now than before the Iraq invasion. "First of all, most of Europe supported the decision in Iraq," Mr. Bush declared. (It's all in how you define "Europe.")

Even as Tom Daschle proposed bipartisan family retreats to heal the harsh mood, even as the Senate passed the "Defense of Decency Act," Mr. Cheney profanely laced into Mr. Leahy for criticizing Halliburton's getting no-bid contracts.

"I felt better afterwards," he told Neil Cavuto during a no-bid interview with Fox News. Hey, if it feels good, Dick, do it.

He said he had no regrets about his "little floor debate in the United States Senate." He didn't want to go along with Mr. Leahy's attitude that "everything's peaches and cream" when the Democrat had just been jawing about Halliburton war profiteering. Peaches and cream have never been on the Bush-Cheney menu, only brimstone and gall.

By playing on the insecurities of an inexperienced leader, Mr. Cheney has managed to change W. from a sunny, open, bipartisan, uniter-not-a-divider, non-nation-builder into a crabby, secretive, partisan, divider-not-a-uniter, inept imperialist. Vice is bounding around the country, talking to his usual circumscribed audiences of conservatives, right-wing think tanks and Fox News anchors. No need to burrow in the bunker when you've turned America into one.

As they used to say about the Soviet Union, the defensive Bush imperialists have to keep expanding because they're encircled. Mr. Cheney's gloomy, scary, contentious world view has fueled a more gloomy, scary, contentious world.

After disastrously dividing the world into the strong (Bush hawks) and the weak (everyone else), Vice turned his coarseness into another macho, tough-guy moment against a Democrat considered a pill by many Republicans. "I think a lot of my colleagues felt that what I had said badly needed to be said, that it was long overdue," he preened.

The conservatives defending Mr. Cheney are largely the same crowd that went off the deep end because of a glimpse of breast on the Super Bowl, demanding everything from fines to new regulations to protect red states from blue language.

Mr. Cheney's foul outburst was not as bad as his foul reasoning. On Fox, he again belabored his obsession with "links" between Iraq and Al Qaeda. Exhibiting WASP chutzpah, this time he used The Times to bolster his faux case.

But the Thom Shanker story he cited said only that in the mid-1990's, Iraq agreed to rebroadcast anti-Saudi propaganda and that a request from Osama "to begin joint operations against foreign forces in Saudi Arabia went unanswered."

Rebroadcast anti-Saudi propaganda? As a threat to U.S. security, that's right up there with Iraqi "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities."

Mr. Cheney assured Fox's anxious viewers that he would stay on the ticket and in the White House until January '09. (No four letter words, dear Democrats.) Vice said of W., "he knows I'm there to serve him."

Mr. Bush must have missed that classic "Twilight Zone" episode where the aliens arrive with a book entitled, "To Serve Man." It turns out to be a cookbook.

E-mail: liberties@nytimes.com

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

liberals have taught Vice President Cheney how to swear.

All you seem to be able to do is criticize, rather than offer a possitive alternative....

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Originally posted by cehs

All you seem to be able to do is criticize, rather than offer a possitive alternative....

I do have a positive alternative - it's called a regime change in Washington. After the shrub loses in November, I only hope he and his cohorts are held criminally liable for their Iraq quagmire fiasco. The shrub - nothing more than a piece of sh&t.

Originally posted by motorboy1
    Originally posted by cehs

I do have a positive alternative - it's called a regime change in Washington. After the shrub loses in November, I only hope he and his cohorts are held criminally liable for their Iraq quagmire fiasco. The shrub - nothing more than a piece of sh&t.
    Such venom! Such hatred!

Name one specific reason for your unequivocal enmity.

Name one specific reason the Democrats can offer for uniting a country you obviously believe is in shambles.

I would love to see "Bush Bashing" stop and liberals present their "IDEAS" for success.

Ain't gonna happen cause they aint got none.
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

Ceney was reserved in dealing

With Leahay. This dumbocratic POS shuould be sent to Iraq as substitute for the ones being held hostage. HELL, cutting his head off would finally shut his vile mouth!!

Maureen Dowd...another waste of of space and oxygen. You can take what she writes to the bank...and deposit it in the butt can on the way in.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

one reason to hate cheney is his hypocrisy.

when he was CEO at Halliburton,beginning in the early 90's ;halliburton was one of the companies that profited from the "oil for food" program in Iraq.giving money to the very saddam regime that shrubs dad and donny rumsfeld and dick"the prick"cheney helped in their mayhem.

using,of course,their postmark of a subsidiary in the grand cayman islands that they keep for tax evasion purposes.

Originally posted by remember

using,of course,their postmark of a subsidiary in the grand cayman islands that they keep for tax evasion purposes.
    U Gotta Link ?
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

A true democrat!

Cheney would give Motorhead the FU also. Any normal person would.

(h-pkr-s)
    n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies

1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
    2. An act or instance of such falseness.
    3. Bill Clinton

Remember

Do you mean you HATE what he did?

Let's clear this up once and for all.

To all Bush bashers:

Do you:

A.) Hate Bush personally?

B.) Hate his policies?
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

Dumbocrats are like muslims

They are blindly led by their dogma and they hate all conservatives for no clear reason. Dumbocrats are of SATAN!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast