Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Just wondering how reliable they have been for you, and, if the HO has said that they feel better from mold relief ??

    Thanks,
    Dave, owner
    Daves Heating and Cooling Inc.
    Illinois.

  2. #2
    100% CRAP!!! they are a waste of time..look out suckers..people who believe those brochures are misled to say the least

  3. #3
    Senior Tech Guest
    Just curious airman...you think all uv light appliances are junk or just Honeywell...technology has been around for years in hospitals, meat plants etc...I'm not totally convinced on any of'm yet, just looking for info to sway me one way or the other.

  4. #4
    'Just curious airman...you think all uv light appliances are junk or just Honeywell...technology has been around for years in hospitals, meat plants etc...I'm not totally convinced on any of'm yet, just looking for info to sway me one way or the other
    '

    ME: Yes..im not convinced one way or the other either, but, it is interesting how Hospitals use them enormously if they dont do the job.

    Hope some Techs here have asked HO's if there was an improvement...would like to know the answer.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Huntsville,AL
    Posts
    4,125
    read info at CDC.gov -- UV must be "tuned" for the specific bacterium to be killed -- effectiveness depends upon air flow, lamp position, etc -- brand of UV does not matter

    so one kills a few bacteria, but what about the millions left? same with mold --
    lowering the humidity seems to be most of the answer, having some makeup air helps, but it needs to be filtered & dehumidified --
    no easy answer IMHO.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas USA
    Posts
    677
    We've not used Honeywell, but we have used several other brands through the years, before settling in on NETCO. Water treatment plants are now starting to use them for their treatment of drinking water and sewage plants have been using them now for a few years.

    We have seen some pretty tremendous results from the use of them. We don't expect to cure the problems our clients have with allergies, asthma, hay fever etc., but they sure have relieved their symptoms drastically.

  7. #7
    'We have seen some pretty tremendous results from the use of them. We don't expect to cure the problems our clients have with allergies, asthma, hay fever etc., but they sure have relieved their symptoms drastically


    ME: Have you been able to do any scientific testing to determine 'the level' of the results ??

    Thanks, Dave

  8. #8
    if you gonna sell that stuff use lennox pureair..well designed..only when you need it which is almost never..relief is phcosymantic on the others...hospitals use them stationary ..and hospitals have NO MOLD PERION...it is engineered...if you dont believe it see 'one mans opinion on mold on my web''(1 min to load)they has 7 feet of water on the first floor and NO MOLD..put that in you pipe and smoke it!!

    [Edited by airman1 on 06-29-2004 at 12:19 AM]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,967

    Frown

    UV-C lights have their place - certain strongly held and frequently mispelled opinions not withstanding. The data on the Honeywell web site is saying all the right things so they seem to have the right idea. However, I have NOT used their product so I can't address it directly.

    The UV lights will reduce a biofilm on the cooling coil but only if the UV light is directly shining on the coil and drain pan. A UV light installed on the other side of an air filter or in the return plenum of a gas furnace is worthless. There was a very good technical article in the January 2000 issue of HPAC magazine (www.HPAC.com), but I think they want to charge you to read the old articles now.

    There are some very important issues that need to be considered as well as the location of the light. First, the UV-C output of the tubes drops off through the life of the tube. So the tubes have to be replaced about once a year. Second, the UV-C output is reduced by low temperatures. So a light installed in an A/C supply plenum will have less UV light off of it and will need to be closer to the coil. Third, the UV-C radiation drops very quickly with distance away from the coil. The tubes should probably be no more than a foot away from the coil.

    Then there is the big one that airman seems to be talking about. Many people don't appear to be strongly affected by the mold & bacteria on most biofilms. For those people there is little benefit to a UV light. For the people that ARE affected, the UV-C light will reduce the living organisms that they are allergic to. The dust & dirt still has to be handled by a good air filter and tight ducting.

    I hope this helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event