I have a Carrier EAC with a bad power supply. Parts are insanely high for this thing, so I removed the guts and fabricated some little L brackets to hold a 16x25 pleated filter on the furnice/airhandler side of the case. This is protecting a 20 year old furnace that I am replacing in the next year or so. I change the sucker monthly to be safe. This should be sufficient no?

replace it with a trion air bear..electronic are oversold and fail every 7 years at best..air bear last for 30 years..change every 6 months

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by billb7581
    I have a Carrier EAC with a bad power supply. Parts are insanely high for this thing, so I removed the guts and fabricated some little L brackets to hold a 16x25 pleated filter on the furnice/airhandler side of the case. This is protecting a 20 year old furnace that I am replacing in the next year or so. I change the sucker monthly to be safe. This should be sufficient no?

The pressure drop of the pleated is a lot more than the EAC,so if the blower can handle it you are fine,if not you will have lower than the required minimum air flow,not a good thing.

Should I just use the cheapo filter? Like I said this system is on the way out and I will have some sort of non electric filter installed on the new one. I was using the pleated because I was having trouble finding 16x25 in other brands. Everything seems ok with system operation. The air coming out of the register furthest from the furnace is a little weak, but it always has been.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by billb7581
    Should I just use the cheapo filter? Like I said this system is on the way out and I will have some sort of non electric filter installed on the new one. I was using the pleated because I was having trouble finding 16x25 in other brands. Everything seems ok with system operation. The air coming out of the register furthest from the furnace is a little weak, but it always has been.
    Check/feel that farthest register with and without the filter.

Standard filter should protect equipment okay for the next year.

Will do. From what I've read in here, my problem is in the design of the ductwork through the crawl to the front of my house and not somuch the unit (located all the way in the back) There is a 45 foot run to that register and every other rooms register is tapping off of that trunk before it.

Incidently the filters I was using are like 3 for 5 bucks at home depot with a relatively tame MERV rating of 6 or 7 I believe. I'll have to check the package next time I'm dow there.

[Edited by billb7581 on 06-29-2004 at 11:17 PM]