Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

york rtu just not pumping

ok guys. I have a 12 or 12 1/2 ton rtu with three compressers. it is split into 2 stages 1 stage runs 1 compresser and the other stage runs the other 2 compressers that are tied together with about a foot of pipe and go into 1 manifold. the stage with one compresser runs great. the stage with 2 compresser i am not getting any movement out of my gauges at all (nothing). the service ports are on the manifold after both compressers so there is only 1 high side port and one low side port. I dissconnected the wire for one compresser to stop it from running and still no movement in my gauges and then hooked it back up and did the same thing to the other compresser and still no movement in my gauges. amps are great! it is 3 phase. all my phases are good like i said the other stage works great and I have good amps on all the legs of the compressers that just are not pumping. I am almost sure both of my compresser have bad valves and I ordered 2 new compresser because that is the only way york sales them alreay put togeather. but before I buy them do you guys think there is any thing else I should ck. (contactors are pulling in, amps on comp are good on all legs, it is full on r22 my low side is on retard and my high sid is at around 150, it is a 95 year unit. there is just no movement in the gauges AT ALL when they are running. They are not scroll compressers where the phase could be wrong. do you guy think it is bad valves also or does it sound like I am missing something. Thank You very much for your opion.

Does it have service valves? check to see if there open.....or it could be your way low on gas.

Two questions: were the compressors hot to the touch when running for a bit? When checking the voltage ,did you check across the terminals and what readings did you get?

what are the actual amps compared to the rated amps of the compressors ?

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Two questions: were the compressors hot to the touch when running for a bit? When checking the voltage ,did you check across the terminals and what readings did you get?
    no the compressors were not hot to touch when running for a bit. and the voltage was 220 between each other on all the legs and 110 to ground on all the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by coolerinfrederick View Post
    what are the actual amps compared to the rated amps of the compressors ?
    I did not ck the rated amps for the compressors. That would have been a good idea (that is why i like this chat sight) but the amps were between 6-9 I dont remember. by cheaking other units in the past that is about average i think. I really could not even tell they were running with out cheaking the amps very very quiet and hardly any vibration to touch. At first I did not even think they were running. of couse the roof is loud with other units all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4thenucks View Post
    Does it have service valves? check to see if there open.....or it could be your way low on gas.
    there are no service valves. I would think I would have some movement in the gauges with all the refrigerent in it but nothing at all AT ALL

is it a pumpout system

the system has to get to 20 psi on the suction and then the solenoid valve opens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it is overcharged and can not pump down to 20?? it will never open the solenoid valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

if your head and suction are both 150????
    it could only be bad suction valves or an open internal relief!!!!!

be sure to remove the entire charge or weigh it out!!!!!!

i could not imagine 2 compressors with bad valves but i have seen funnier things

be sure to let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luk568 View Post
    no the compressors were not hot to touch when running for a bit. and the voltage was 220 between each other on all the legs and 110 to ground on all the legs.
    If the compressors are not hot then that means they are not running. They would get hot if the motors were running without compressing .They rely on the gas to cool the motor.Even if they were down on thermal heat would be present.

you have to have to!!
    find rla and actual amp draw on each leg of each compressor!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luk568 View Post
    I did not ck the rated amps for the compressors. That would have been a good idea (that is why i like this chat sight) but the amps were between 6-9 I dont remember. by cheaking other units in the past that is about average i think. I really could not even tell they were running with out cheaking the amps very very quiet and hardly any vibration to touch. At first I did not even think they were running. of couse the roof is loud with other units all over.

you guys gave me some more things to think about. I did not even ck the to see if there was a shut silinoid by the evap coil but it should go into a vacume it that was the case. The compressers should have been some what warm you would think. I am going to go back over there in the morning an ck it out a little more after taling to you all. I will turn the other units off around it so I can hear it better. look to see if there are any silinoids on it if so ck them. Dump some of the charge that is in it that is not moveing. Ck the amp draw a little better. I was there put my gauges on it saw no movement , ck amps ,volts on all legs , that was good then scratched my head and said there is no ........ way ck amps again volts again gauges again and then said it is what it is. I think i need to ck it out again because i have not seen both of them go out like this befor. I will let you guys know tomarrow night. Thank you very much!!

You mentioned the amps between 6-9 and voltage is 220 each leg and 3 phase unit and also each leg to ground is 110. Its sounds like 208 /3ph unit if your compressor is running you should have higher amps.You have like 12 hp motor rated amps about 36, your compressor not running if you reading 6-9 amps make sure your contactor is engaged check that first hope you come back and tell us more what you find. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast