Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hello. i've got no power to my thermostat. i've got a dual climate zone in my house, and the upstairs unit has no power. i attemped to replace thermostat with a programmable one today, and mid-way through the job, found out i couldn't use the new one, so i decided to put the old one back on. wired it back based on the diagram i jotted down before i took the old one off. blue going to L, green going to G, black going to c, red to r, orange to o, yellow to y, and a jump bar between y and W1, and white going to E and W2. now, no power and i've checked all circuits and everything is fine. any ideas??? i need some major help here. thanks!

As a homeowner, make sure that your breaker is on, and your air handler door is also tight and the switch is on. Beyond that, call a pro.

A low voltage control for a heat pump is sophisticated and different depending on the brand of equipment and the application. Call the contractor who installed the system and purchase a programmable stat from him if you really want one, and have him install it. Yes, it's money out of your pocket, but it will be done right, and all we could do here is give you some guesses as to what goes to what. Different equipment and different applications require different wires on different terminals... and if you wire something wrong and fry your transformer, you'll be out a lot more money!
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

You didn't turn power of and let the magic smoke out. Agood tech can put the smoke back in, for a couple of bills. I love DIY HO's, they put money in my pocket.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

please keep us informed about your progress I'm dying to know what the problem is
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

5 amp fuse

You may have touched red and black at one point of the change over and blown a fuse at the fan circuit board or burned out transformer. Good luck.(Did you off the power before you started the project?)

yes, i turned the power off. i guess i wasn't aware that you could blow a fuse if the power is off, even if you touch wires. not good..... no, still haven't figured it out yet.

Angry Respect

It really upsets me that a lot of you guys are so rude to people and make smart comments to homeowners that post on this site. Do you treat your customers this way? Does it make you feel like a big man? For some reason some of you guys think your better than everyone else and your crap don't stink. So what if your a skilled tradesman who can work on a HVAC, big deal. Show a lil respect to people and maybe that will help your low self esteem and you want have to pick on others to make yourself feel better. Oh yeah go ahead a make another smart comment about this post.

Oh goOdie, someone publicly a heck of a lot more nUcKIn' fUts than myself.

I don't see where anyone was being rude until you posted and I don't believe I've seen anything outside of the most basic of as basic can get straight shooting answers, however they may have been delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
    Oh goOdie, someone publicly a heck of a lot more nUcKIn' fUts than myself.

I don't see where anyone was being rude until you posted and I don't believe I've seen anything outside of the most basic of as basic can get straight shooting answers, however they may have been delivered.
    Well back in 2004 when this post was first made they were a bit kinder gentler breed but as of late lol
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

I would go with the basics as stated below, check all power supplys, switches and breakers.

I dont think you did anything wrong because you said there was no power at the tstat when you started. thats what prompted you to change it out.

If there was power when you removed the old one, you would know quick. Unless you have no feelin in your hands for an electric shock.

If all supplys are on, try resetting breaker.

I had my wife call me at 7 in the morning because she said the a/c wasnt working. She spent the whole day in the mall to keep cool....yeah ok...figures she would find the mall as the best place. GOD forbid she go to a library or shoprite.

Anyway, it turns out when the kids came out of the attic from getting some things, they turned off the wrong switch. Dummys

You may also have a secondary switch in a closet maybe, besides the one at the unit. Anythings possible for a no power issue.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    I would go with the basics as stated below, check all power supplys, switches and breakers.

I dont think you didnt wrong because you said there was no power at the tstat when you started. thats what prompted you to change it out.

If there was power when you removed the old one, you would know quick. Unless you have no feelin in your hands for an electric shock.

If all supplys are on, try resetting breaker.

I had my wife call me at 7 in the morning because she said the a/c wasnt working. She spent the whole day in the mall to keep cool....yeah ok...figures she would find the mall as the best place. GOD forbid she go to a library or shoprite.

Anyway, it turns out when the kids came out of the attic from getting some things, they turned off the wrong switch. Dummys

You may also have a secondary switch in a closet maybe, besides the one at the unit. Anythings possible for a no power issue.
    I am sure he has it fixed by now it was posted in 2004
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by retired btc View Post
    Well back in 2004 when this post was first made they were a bit kinder gentler breed but as of late lol
    I've been had but at least we still received some useful info and I personally enjoy talking and reading and learning about work, any time, any subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast