Carrier/Comfortmaker model comparison

I had 2 companies quote A/C installation but I can't find enough information to compare the quotes. One contractor gave me quotes for different comparable units (Comfortmaker N4A348 & C4A348, Carrier 24ACB48 & 24APA548), which appear to be 4 ton units from what I find online. He quoted a price for each and specified the SEER and warranty differences. From other threads I've seen on this forum it appears that there isn't much reason to choose Carrier over Comfortmaker for comparable models. Are these models truly comparable?

A second company quoted a Carrier 24ACB436A003, which appears to be a 3 ton unit, but this was actually the more expensive quote. Is this unit better than the ones above for some other reason?

Thanks in advance for you help, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pdxcheesehead View Post
    I had 2 companies quote A/C installation but I can't find enough information to compare the quotes. One contractor gave me quotes for different comparable units (Comfortmaker N4A348 & C4A348, Carrier 24ACB48 & 24APA548), which appear to be 4 ton units from what I find online. He quoted a price for each and specified the SEER and warranty differences. From other threads I've seen on this forum it appears that there isn't much reason to choose Carrier over Comfortmaker for comparable models. Are these models truly comparable?

A second company quoted a Carrier 24ACB436A003, which appears to be a 3 ton unit, but this was actually the more expensive quote. Is this unit better than the ones above for some other reason?If its sized right and the other one is too big, then yes its better.
    Thanks in advance for you help, Steve
    You have to get a contractor who will do a proper load calc and not just ballpark it. If the first guy is oversizing the equipment you don't want him regardless of what brand he sells.

Tell us what area of the country you are at and a little about your house, size, how many windows, etc.
    Last edited by Chuck; 05-16-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: clarification

The N4A3 is essentially the 24ABB3. Low end stuff.

The C4A3 is a deluxe model, above a Carrier Comfort since it has a Copeland Comfort Alert diagnostics module, 2 speed fan motor and lower sound levels.

The reason to go Carrier would be an Infinity system. Otherwise, you'd be fine either way, whichever dealer is best. Some of the Carrier furnaces are ICPs these days.

I don't see much point in going with the "15 SEER" Carrier since you won't get it without the matched Carrier high efficiency motor indoor unit.

More information from poster

First, thank you very much to chuckcrj & BaldLoonie for taking the time to reply.

In response to chuckcrj's request for more information:

I'm in Portland, OR. House built in 1984, 3400 sq feet (2000 on main, 1400 on 2nd floor), crawl space, 8ft ceilings, shake roof, electric temp-activated attic fan (inherited from previous owner, I think it is set to activate at 90deg...is there a recommendation?), front of house is oriented due South.

Windows:
    South facing -73 sq ft on main, 62 sq ft on 2nd floor.
    North facing - 202 sq ft on main, 54 sq ft on 2nd floor
    West facing - 44 sq ft on main, 18 sq ft on 2nd floor

Skylights:
    South facing - 17 sq ft
    East facing - 3 sq ft

In terms of the full system that was quoted to me by the contractor that did the load calc:
    24ACB436A003 Carrier comfort conditioner
    LS3534A Insulated line set
    Edge TP-PAC01 programable thermostat
    CNPVP 4221ACA PURON cased coil
    UC24243-3CA condenser pad

Does that package make sense?

Thanks again, Steve

There's a couple of documents attached to help you make up your mind. You've already stated that one contractor did a load analysis, room-by-room I trust and not just measuring square footage of the home?? If he/she can produce that load analysis to support the equipment size, then I think your decision is made already. If more than one model is being offered, put your trust in that company to help guide you to the system that best meets your needs. It's not so much about cost as it is getting exactly what you think you're getting. Ask about the various bells & whistles of the different models so you clearly understand what the features and benefits are of each. Then at least you'll understand what the price differences are.

IMO, too many people are put a value on "return on investment" when it comes to selecting SEER rated products. But what's the return on the countertop in your kitchen? The carpet in your living room? While being able to see a return is nice, maybe it's more important to you to decrease you electrical consumption, even at the expense of a higher cost you'll never pay back. Maybe you'll sleep better knowing you've done a little bit to reduce the amount of electricity that must be produced to operate your system. Or maybe you'd like to participate in a Smart Grid program where the electric utility can communicate with your system to effect energy savings and a reduction in peak electrical use. That's already part of the Carrier Infinity system. You can turn it on and off to participate or not, as you choose. So use the attached to help and understand that the reasons people select various models have all to do with their personal beliefs and desires as well as their economic implications.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!