Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think you can stay in commercial work and still be close to home. Look for any college campus's, Gov facilties , Or even a local mall . Some of these places still have in house service, installation, and maintenance programs. Good luck

I’ve done both residential and commercial work. I only do heavy commercial work now and would never go back. If it is so critical to get the chiller up and running, why doesn’t the customer rent a temporary chiller? You can’t rush or you will pay in the end. Why did the other tech quit? Sounds like for the same reason you are thinking about it. Maybe you should check on going to work for another commercial company. Sounds like you are getting screwed. I work for a large commercial company and we have enough techs where we are only on call 2 or 3 times a year.

Txtraneman....There is no doubt i'm getting screwed where i am. The other tech that quit, was an excellent technician that had been with the company for 9 years. He, according to my boss, was making way too much money, and it was decided they would lay him off after he finished the project he was working on. The tech got wind of this, and quit rather than be laid off. I cant blame him, and truthfully, I would have probobly screwed up the project before leaving, if i had been in his place.

I have decided to sit down on these guy's and have demanded more help and less crap...it's worked so far. As for the on-call thing goes, there is nobody in my area that can work on these brutes but me, so i'm kinda stuck when something happens. I have gone to the "not at home" mode when not on call, and you'd be surprised how many castomer's CAN wait now.

Of course i'm keeping my ear to the ground, and might go to one of the manufacturer's shops here. I am not stupid, and can see the future, as the tech that quit only made just slightly more than me. A man can fool himself only so long.

If you can get a job at a manufacturer's shop, that would be great. I work for an independant Trane franchise and they treat me great. We have the best accounts in town and they give us plenty of time to get the job done right. We get to work on the newest equiptment and get great training. They take care of the good techs real well as they know they are hard to find.

You may be contemplating leaving commercial for residential, but I was thinking about leaving residential for commercial.

Cde72: Res. to Comm. is a natural progression in this field, but it's nice to stay with what you know, and not commit yourself to too much too soon. I took my first leap into Commercial work with a shop that did both, it wasn't such a big jump that way. After several years at large commercial package units, i progressed to chillers with the help of the lead tech.

Been doing chiller/boiler work for about 16 years now, rarely work on anything else. If you are really interested in commercial work, try to affiliate yourself with a good company, that knows your skill level, and never try to elevate yourself, unless you are absolutely certain of success. Many guy's will lie about their skills to grt more money up front...this only makes it worse when you come accross something you cant fix...Believe me, this will happen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123