Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Was on one York centrifugal repairing the cheap, POS plastic header for the Solid State Starter cooling lines because it was all cracked and lost coolant. On my way off the job with bag in hand, walked by the 2nd identical Yorkie. Right when I walked by, the oil sump sounded like there were rocks and glass in the pump, and she went down on oil pressure. I ran the pump in manual and sounded fine with 40psid on the Millenium panel. I reset it (waited for 20minute antirecycle timer..........) and restarted. About 3 minuted into the restart, sound of rocks again. While it was happening, I monitored oil pressure, and it dropped from 39psi to 16psi. I shut it down fast. Now is it safe to say the oil pump is shot? Funny thing is that when the pump is run in manual with the chiller not running, it sounds fine and has plenty of pressure. This chiller is a '98 I believe.

Soooooo....
    When you refer to a part of the LCSSS as a POS, I was wondering what the "Other" Liquid Cooled Solid State Starters you work on are so much better.
    I really want to know which of the others are made So much better..I really do.
    I understand that a Titanium-Gold alloy manifold was first tried with a rotating Emerald inside a Quartz sight glass with Multi-Colored LEDS illuminating the Emerald but for some silly ass economic reason was never put into production.
    As far as the Oil pump on the other YT being bad, I truly doubt anything is wrong with it.
    It would probably be beneficial though if a "Qualified" technician replaced the oil filter and serviced the Oil Pressure Regulator.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

wow, what a cocky answer. Thanks but no thanks, guy. Yeah, I said the frickin header is a POS, it's plastic. enough said. Why don't you come over and take a look at the oil pump for me?

Oh, sorry, I see you work for the Manufacturer. I see where the cockiness comes in...

Hmm Oh ya!!!

Nothing for nothing but RichardL is one of the most knowlegable posters on this board when it comes to high tonnage equipment and electronic gizmos. Hes forgotten more than most people know. I agree with him on the York SSS. I can count how many problems weve had on one hand on them. Its probably one of the best starters on the market IMO. No I dont work for a manufacturer. I see you must work for Trane, talk about techs with attitude, youve got em all.
    Originally posted by CrazyEddie
    wow, what a cocky answer. Thanks but no thanks, guy. Yeah, I said the frickin header is a POS, it's plastic. enough said. Why don't you come over and take a look at the oil pump for me?

Oh, sorry, I see you work for the Manufacturer. I see where the cockiness comes in...

Re: Oh ya!!!

Originally posted by absrbrtek
    I see you must work for Trane, talk about techs with attitude, youve got em all
    [/B][/QUOTE]

hahahahaha.

I don't have an attitiude, but if someone blatantly comes off as an a-hole to a question I post, I'll bite back. I never said the SSS is crap, I said the plastic header sucks (try actually reading what I originally wrote). It could have been made of copper for just a few cents more. I am actually quite impressed by the SSS' operation.

Yeah, so I work for trane, big deal. It's a job, just like yours. I'm not going to defend all of Trane's products like they are my children. Trane doesn't pay me enough for that. I know some of trane's products have their own issues. I won't pretend that it is all made of gold. The other problem that has just brewed is the automatic segregation. Oh, he works for york, and he works for trane , blah, blah, blah. We're all frickin mechanics here, so let's talk to each other with the respect we all deserve. Everyone wants to talk **** about how much less the other guy knows.

I don't work for York, and I'm not familiar with the chiller. I posted a question about a problem I had. If I knew all the answers, I wouldn't ask, right? I'm not saying that RichardL doesn't know anything, I just said he responded with a cocky answer. The problem is that a lot of guys forget where they came from. No one was born with a set of gages and a wrench in their hands. Those of us that don't know, ask the guys who have the knowledge. If the guys with the knowledge come off like their **** don't stink, then thank you very much and have a nice day.

Richard, You say there isn't a problem with the pump and the oil filter should be changed. Thank you for that information. All your other comments went out the window.

Sorry bout' that CrazyEddie...
    For the month I've been on one of the nastiest retubing jobs I have ever seen...and,,I' have seen my share..
    Evaporator supports....gone...dissolved, Condenser had no supports left either, and one large tube in it about 3ft. in diameter. As the tubes had sort of fused together into a gigantic blob...Used cardboard and spray paint to get a pattern for the supports from the "Partially" dissolved crown sheets.
    Every nipple, coupling, valve I have touched has broken off and not a single isolation valve has held on the water side.

In short...my attitude "Sucks" at the moment....
    To top it off, I am here after an all-niter, away from my beloved Grand-sons, and need some parts in the worst way.
    But....of all damn days, the dickheads have chosen today to have a "Gay Pride March" outside the Hi-Rise I am in at the moment...
    With all the demeanor I can muster at the moment,...I humbly apologize for my smart-ass answer...
    I trust you will try and understand...
    It will not happen again.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Cool

Abs your killing me!!! We ALL dont have attitudes!!

Smile

hey crazy eddie?

York has had some problems with pumps just like others. When you get threw with what has been mentioned you may want to pull the pump after monitoring your RLA verse actual. I like to check my actual PSID also with levels and temperatures. I have found gears worn, screws missing and or loose screws, metal particals and so on and on. You should be thankful for your ability and knowledge which sounds like you are and i hope this helps. Good luck

After all the grumbling what was wrong with the oil pump,or regulator?

Richard guess you schould have let slime sales sell'em a new one .
    is this really happening or not

I agree on the plastic manifold, but still like York

I run 4 different brands and York is as good or better than any of 'em. I had the "no good way to fill or purge" copper manifold on two of 'em. Put in a T and a vertical riser with a pipe plug on top and life is easier.

A lot of times, the oil pressure will drop slightly when the purge begins to fill. You can usually notice a change in sound when the purge begins to fill. Check your oil pressure reg. setting.

Are you maybe starting into a very warm loop?
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

RichardL, sure thing, no problem. Thanks for the info.

I haven't been back to that job since. I'm going to talk with my service manager about it tomorrow. But Randy, when I started that chiller before the first time it happened, I had just shut down the other one, so the loop was still pretty cold. The noise cae about probably after 10 minutes of running, maybe more. After it went down on oil pressure, I couldn't restart it because of the anit-recycle timer of 20 minutes. By then, the water probably got up to low 60's or so. After I restarted , the noise came after about 3 minutes of running. It didn't purge becasue of the 60 minute purge bypass timer. Running the oil pump in maual yeilds a 39 psid, with no noise.

It's been a long time since I've worked on the Millenium Panel, but can't the anti-recycle timer be bypassed by using the jumper on the lower right hand side of the board. If I remember theirs a label designating the pins to jump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast