Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 54
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    94

    Recovery Tanks

    We only rent tanks to return refrigerant in. We have tanks for every type and oil! If the oil or refrigerant are bad, we rent a tank and pull the charge and then return it all. We (I) only use our shop tanks if it is good and clean! Then again, dont swap tanks between different oils! You are asking for trouble!

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Isn't that kind of illegal??
    chrisvacman , whats your expeirience with this ? Have you ever heard of this happening ? In the past I have had management actually recommend that we use those cylinders just for the very convienience of not haveing to purchase cylinders , records and pressure test every five years .

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?
    I agree mrllyonsden . Thats what Fielding Chemicals said . And thats what I say now . But I get the impression that the wholesalers should be better educated on this since they are providing the cylinders . At the very least put up a notice from Fielding Chemicals stateing the sole purpose of the cylinders . There could LITTERALY be anything in those cylinders , forget about just residuale oil or vapours .

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 Tech View Post
    We only rent tanks to return refrigerant in. We have tanks for every type and oil! If the oil or refrigerant are bad, we rent a tank and pull the charge and then return it all. We (I) only use our shop tanks if it is good and clean! Then again, dont swap tanks between different oils! You are asking for trouble!
    I could not agree more , proper refrigant mangement is the key . I am begging to wounder if it makes more sence to puchase your own tanks , one for mineral or alkabenzene and one for poe .

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    We use recovery tanks from U/R (NRP). The manager said, that all their reusable tanks are internally cleaned(hence why they have the valves shrinked wrapped). I asked how they internally clean them. He didn't know, but said he would find out. Hmm.......that was at least 3 years ago.
    I would sugest that you call the chemical company and ask what their standards are ? Its the only way . Cover your behind .

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?
    You've never had to pull refgt to repair a leak?

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Maine
    Posts
    29

    Hmm

    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    You've never had to pull refgt to repair a leak?
    Of course I have, R-12,22&502 were not issues back when they were the big three, still would not re-use anyways. The refrigerant replacement is always figured into the repair cost no matter what. These blends of today, no question, never re-use. Complete recovery and evacuation with new refrigerant every time. You replace the filter drier every time the system is recovered and opened right?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    Of course I have, R-12,22&502 were not issues back when they were the big three, still would not re-use anyways. The refrigerant replacement is always figured into the repair cost no matter what. These blends of today, no question, never re-use. Complete recovery and evacuation with new refrigerant every time. You replace the filter drier every time the system is recovered and opened right?
    Per your quote, you would never reuse a refrigerant that wasn't a blend, either, so why even try and qualify the statement by doing that? Yes, if you open a system for repairs it's always good practice to replace a filter that has been catching debris or adsorbing moisture, but to compare that to replacing an entire charge of perfectly good refrigerant when you have at least some if not most of that charge that was recovered for service purposes is comparing apples and oranges. Companies that engage in that sort of practice give our industry in general a bad name.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?
    2500 pounds of r-11 pulled because of a leak,and your going to make the customer eat the cost???????????????? just because you like the word
    "virgin".......................................... ............

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    372
    i could understand if it is a small system but when you get involved in large tonnage you would be out of work if you tried to replace the charge every time you needed to remove for service, the cost would be ridiculous.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Maine
    Posts
    29

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    i could understand if it is a small system but when you get involved in large tonnage you would be out of work if you tried to replace the charge every time you needed to remove for service, the cost would be ridiculous.
    I can understand all of you and your concerns, I also realize in big city applications things can get pretty large. But up here in the sticks, a 500 ton chiller is about as big as it gets. My personal experience, 700 pounds of refrigerant is about the largest capacity system I have dealt with. Ammonia system 18,000 pounds, but that's a cat of a different color.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    I can understand all of you and your concerns, I also realize in big city applications things can get pretty large. But up here in the sticks, a 500 ton chiller is about as big as it gets. My personal experience, 700 pounds of refrigerant is about the largest capacity system I have dealt with. Ammonia system 18,000 pounds, but that's a cat of a different color.
    Sounds to me that your doing your customer a disservice. That's a waste of money. And I've done alot of large tonnage refigeration and those blends are not as critical as you think.
    Last edited by fr420; 05-17-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: took pricing out

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Maine
    Posts
    29

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by fr420 View Post
    Sounds to me that your doing your customer a disservice. That's a waste of money. I would think a customers price to replace 700lbs of r-22 would be min 5000 and then add disposal or recycle fee for 700lbs of r-22 thats outrages to me............
    Now I didn't say I replaced 700 pounds of refrigerant that was recovered, there are exceptions to every rule. I guess I have been fortunate enough to be able to pump down large capacity systems for leak repairs with limited virgin gas repacement.(That was for you largetonnage. LOL!). I am not out ramrodding customers making money on refrigerant, I am just making a point about recovery cylinders that seems to have gotten out of hand. Seems to happen alot around here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event