Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95

    Refrigerant Recovery Tanks

    I am interested in recieving everyones perspectives on this subject please .
    I picked up a recovery tank from a wholesaler . It was not bought new , just a recycled tank from Fielding Chemicals . If it is returned empty you get charged , if it is full no charge . In Ontario thats the general deal .
    In the past I have posed the question to the wholesaler , what is the quality assurance that the tank is resonably clean ? The responce I was given was that there may be some undesirable vapores or an oil film in the tank from an unknown refrigerant or oil . I was never told that these tanks were the sole purpose for containment and transportation back to Fielding Chemical for clean up only . I have also never seen any documentation to support this .
    I , and many mechanics and HVAC companies have been using these cylinders for serviceing systems , ie. recovery into and charging back into the same system . Only to be returned when the cylinder was full . Seemed kind of convienient .
    Anyway , picked up a cylinder , evacuated the tank to 300 microns , recoverd into the tank and charged from the said tank back into the system . Well , when there was approx 10 pounds left I noticed the delta p on the suction gauge began to drop off . I removed the charging hose from the tank and found a fine dust , or dirt of some kind coat the bottom of my gauges manifold . The tank was poluted with some kind of debrise , dry debrise . No I did not use a dryer in line with my charging hose . Never have . Now I suspect there is debrise sitting in the bottom of the oil crank , or is hopefully getting trapped into the dryer . I left that circuit off untill the service manager can be informed . Does anyone use these cylinders for servicing ? Should the wholesaler not make provisions to state clearly that these cylinders cannot be used for servicing as described >|????? Anyone !!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    176
    I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by fr420 View Post
    I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..
    Interesting response . This is the first time I have had this happen , and the first time I have ever heard that this could be a serious issue . It will never happen to me again , if i still have a job .
    Great to hear from you fr420 .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a mechanical room....
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by fr420 View Post
    I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..
    Isn't that kind of illegal??
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

    - E.E. Cummings

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Isn't that kind of illegal??
    I beleif if you reuse them it's illegal, never said i reuse them. But I could be wrong!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario , Canada .
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by fr420 View Post
    I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..
    Just curious fr420 , how did the dirt affect the system . Did you loose the compressor , or just change the dryer out ? THis system in question is a 30 ton compressor , a Trane hemetic . I was concidering removing the oil if there is a dip tube at the oil charging port and changeing the dryer , worst case cenario , apart from loosing the compressor .
    The material that was observed looked like very fine rust particles ? its really hard to say .
    chishvacman , any sugestions ?.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,283
    We use recovery tanks from U/R (NRP). The manager said, that all their reusable tanks are internally cleaned(hence why they have the valves shrinked wrapped). I asked how they internally clean them. He didn't know, but said he would find out. Hmm.......that was at least 3 years ago.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Maine
    Posts
    29
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?
    I had a small leak on the discharge valve of a 150ton Carrier chiller. Been adding about 30 pounds a years to circuit 1. New engineer now wants it fixed. I can't isolate it. So I have to remove 158 pounds of gas, to replace it.

    There is no way I just putting virgin gas in. Why would I?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?
    that would get alittle expensive for a 2500 ton chiller

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    We use recovery tanks from U/R (NRP). The manager said, that all their reusable tanks are internally cleaned(hence why they have the valves shrinked wrapped). I asked how they internally clean them. He didn't know, but said he would find out. Hmm.......that was at least 3 years ago.
    That's where we get our tanks also, they didnt really seem to care when i *****ed and only offered me another tank, but at that point it was to late. I took a Chiiler course and the teacher said this happens alot. He suggested weighing cylinders and if it doesnt match tare weight then thats a good indication there is foriegn material in there

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by CumulusMech View Post
    Just curious fr420 , how did the dirt affect the system . Did you loose the compressor , or just change the dryer out ? THis system in question is a 30 ton compressor , a Trane hemetic . I was concidering removing the oil if there is a dip tube at the oil charging port and changeing the dryer , worst case cenario , apart from loosing the compressor .
    The material that was observed looked like very fine rust particles ? its really hard to say .
    chishvacman , any sugestions ?.
    Just did a normal cleanup on system, changed driers and oil and system was fine. It just takes extra time and time is money!!!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    126
    had a system where upon recharging my manifold plugged solid, then two weeks later the txv's and then the solinoids. alot of extra work and expense because of dirty tanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event