Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Refrigerant Recovery Tanks

I am interested in recieving everyones perspectives on this subject please .
    I picked up a recovery tank from a wholesaler . It was not bought new , just a recycled tank from Fielding Chemicals . If it is returned empty you get charged , if it is full no charge . In Ontario thats the general deal .
    In the past I have posed the question to the wholesaler , what is the quality assurance that the tank is resonably clean ? The responce I was given was that there may be some undesirable vapores or an oil film in the tank from an unknown refrigerant or oil . I was never told that these tanks were the sole purpose for containment and transportation back to Fielding Chemical for clean up only . I have also never seen any documentation to support this .
    I , and many mechanics and HVAC companies have been using these cylinders for serviceing systems , ie. recovery into and charging back into the same system . Only to be returned when the cylinder was full . Seemed kind of convienient .
    Anyway , picked up a cylinder , evacuated the tank to 300 microns , recoverd into the tank and charged from the said tank back into the system . Well , when there was approx 10 pounds left I noticed the delta p on the suction gauge began to drop off . I removed the charging hose from the tank and found a fine dust , or dirt of some kind coat the bottom of my gauges manifold . The tank was poluted with some kind of debrise , dry debrise . No I did not use a dryer in line with my charging hose . Never have . Now I suspect there is debrise sitting in the bottom of the oil crank , or is hopefully getting trapped into the dryer . I left that circuit off untill the service manager can be informed . Does anyone use these cylinders for servicing ? Should the wholesaler not make provisions to state clearly that these cylinders cannot be used for servicing as described >|????? Anyone !!

Post Likes
    I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fr420 View Post
    I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..
    Interesting response . This is the first time I have had this happen , and the first time I have ever heard that this could be a serious issue . It will never happen to me again , if i still have a job .
    Great to hear from you fr420 .

Post Likes
    Isn't that kind of illegal??
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Isn't that kind of illegal??
    I beleif if you reuse them it's illegal, never said i reuse them. But I could be wrong!!!

Post Likes
    Just curious fr420 , how did the dirt affect the system . Did you loose the compressor , or just change the dryer out ? THis system in question is a 30 ton compressor , a Trane hemetic . I was concidering removing the oil if there is a dip tube at the oil charging port and changeing the dryer , worst case cenario , apart from loosing the compressor .
    The material that was observed looked like very fine rust particles ? its really hard to say .
    chishvacman , any sugestions ?.

Post Likes
    We use recovery tanks from U/R (NRP). The manager said, that all their reusable tanks are internally cleaned(hence why they have the valves shrinked wrapped). I asked how they internally clean them. He didn't know, but said he would find out. Hmm.......that was at least 3 years ago.

Post Likes
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    As far as I am concerned, recovery tanks are for disposal only. I have never re-used refrigerant from a recovery cylinder, virgin gas only back into a system. Thats my view, If you recovered the refrigerant, it was because of a problem with the system right?
    I had a small leak on the discharge valve of a 150ton Carrier chiller. Been adding about 30 pounds a years to circuit 1. New engineer now wants it fixed. I can't isolate it. So I have to remove 158 pounds of gas, to replace it.

There is no way I just putting virgin gas in. Why would I?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrllyonsden View Post
    that would get alittle expensive for a 2500 ton chiller

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    We use recovery tanks from U/R (NRP). The manager said, that all their reusable tanks are internally cleaned(hence why they have the valves shrinked wrapped). I asked how they internally clean them. He didn't know, but said he would find out. Hmm.......that was at least 3 years ago.
    That's where we get our tanks also, they didnt really seem to care when i *****ed and only offered me another tank, but at that point it was to late. I took a Chiiler course and the teacher said this happens alot. He suggested weighing cylinders and if it doesnt match tare weight then thats a good indication there is foriegn material in there

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CumulusMech View Post
    Just curious fr420 , how did the dirt affect the system . Did you loose the compressor , or just change the dryer out ? THis system in question is a 30 ton compressor , a Trane hemetic . I was concidering removing the oil if there is a dip tube at the oil charging port and changeing the dryer , worst case cenario , apart from loosing the compressor .
    The material that was observed looked like very fine rust particles ? its really hard to say .
    chishvacman , any sugestions ?.
    Just did a normal cleanup on system, changed driers and oil and system was fine. It just takes extra time and time is money!!!!!

Post Likes
    had a system where upon recharging my manifold plugged solid, then two weeks later the txv's and then the solinoids. alot of extra work and expense because of dirty tanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast