Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier or Amana?

Post Likes

Carrier or Amana?

We are replacing our central air/furnace unit and have priced Carrier and are waiting for a price on Amana. Which is the better quality unit? Does Amana's stainless steel parts make it better? We live in Southern Indiana, is a heat pump a good thing? The Amana person wants us to put in a heat pump and the Carrier dealer says no. HELP!!!

Post Likes
    I'm a tech of many words. So read.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Unless you are on a co-op and have outrageous electric rates, dual fuel would be a wise move. Especially if LP gas backup.

Both are good systems. Amana's stainless steel tubular heat exchangers are among the best on the market. You'll probably find more Carrier fans however, especially if looking at Infinity line of equipment and control.

Post Likes
    Too bad Carrier's HX's quality doesn't match Amana's.

But dash'll be here soon to push the Carrier line.
    WHY?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post

Baldlonnie's right.

Special Ed ,get a life and an education!!

Post Likes

Why is it okay for you to tell us how great your third world brand is???

Those Carrier guys in Jax must be hurtin you!!

Post Likes
    carrier the better brand. amana has a serious problem with reversing valves going bad recently

Post Likes
    What brand RV is Amana using? Sounds like Rheem may be using the same ones

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    What brand RV is Amana using? Sounds like Rheem may be using the same ones

RV, Boards,compressors, motors, caps, leaking coils "condenser and evaporator" etc. I guess none of the mfgs are immune, right? can we send this song to all the mfg's?

If you ever change your mind
    About leaving, leaving mfg behind
    Oh, bring it to me, bring your sweet manufacturing
    Bring it on back to America, oh yeah

You know I laughed, when it left
    But now I know we only hurt myself
    Bring it on on back to America, yeah, yeah, yeah

I'll give you jewelry, money too
    and that's not all, all I'll do for you
    Bring it on on back to America, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah…

You know I'll always be your slave
    Until I'm dead and buried in my grave

If you ever change your mind
    About leaving, leaving manufacturing behind
    Oh, bring it to me, bring your manufacturing
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    We got the quote for the Amana and it is about $ more than the Carrier but it is a 2 stage where the Carrier is not. They are both 16 seer units. Right now we are leaning towards the Carrier mostly because I can't find anyone that has an Amana. The Carrier unit is not the Infinity line, it is one step below that. I like both contractors and Skippedover, they both answered the "question" correctly about sizing the unit. How do I choose?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-15-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat2161 View Post
    I can't find anyone that has an Amana..
    Do you mean anyone in your area that sells Amana? or, are you talking about a neighbor or friend that has an Amana system? If you mean anyone that sells it, they probably have an 800 number and can tell you were the nearest dealer is, also warranties are important on any equipment you might choose.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Why is it okay for you to tell us how great your third world brand is???

Those Carrier guys in Jax must be hurtin you!!
    I don't really care what brand it is (since they're all basically the same anyway) as long as it doesn't say Carrier or Trane on it. Heck, half of what's in that Carrier-brand system is made in Mexico which is - if I recall correctly - a third-world country.

Every time I call the Carrier distributor here at Jax looking for a part they put me on hold - for, on average, 30min which, in my humble opinion, is poor customer service. If I were to do the same thing to my customers I'd be out of business but since Carrier is a monster co. owned by an international conglomerate they could care less what their customers (the contractor) think of them. Probably because they're going to get business no matter how poorly they treat people. Don't worry, Carrier's not the only mfg with that arrogant of an attitude - Trane suffers from it, too.

It is true Amana/Goodman has had their issues with their reversing valves & I've had to deal with it in the past. But whatever it was they seem to be addressing it, because I haven't had to replace one in at least a couple of months. By the way, Amana's/Goodman's reversing valves come from the same country Carrier's & Trane's do - China.

The point? Just because the box says "Carrier" or "Trane" on it doesn't necessarily mean it's a better product; it just means that the HO who insists on one of those two brands believes the hype or the HVAC contractor who doesn't sell anything but has drunk the Kool-Aid.
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Your area looks good for a heat pump, as far as your temps.

Post Likes
    Why are all THE Brands successful,like Coke,Tide, Starkist, Lexus?

Seems consumers have a preference,not all that different with HVAC.

Apparently Carrier/UTC picked a better vendor in China then the others, accident or superior knowledge, since they are a big player in Asia.

As a CFAD Contractor, we aren't put on hold much at all,usually order on the net any way,makes sense for them to reward the contractors that partner with them.

Where as Goodman can't/ won't because they sell equipment to any one with money to pay. No requirements for trainng,NATE,etc.,etc.. No 100% satisfaction,backed by the manufacturer, for the consumer, must not have confidence in their contractors.

It's what's inside the box,that you can't see,like things above that make it a very good choice

Post Likes
    Mr Bill, I have a contractor that installs Amana. I can't find anyone that actually has one. Everyone I talk to recommends Carrier but I don't want to eliminate Amana if it is a good brand.

Post Likes

dash,

Carrier could care less about your success, they want you to do nothing but sell their name only, not yours. They use tools like CFAD to tie you into them so that you're less likely to buy elsewhere that may or may not make a better product & so that you will push/advertise their brand name rather than yours. The Carrier brand is far more important to them than your brand name & you're doing nothing but helping them make their name better known than the contractors'. If you keep that up then Carrier will no longer need you to sell their brand; instead they'll just open their own shop & drive you out of business.

And, unlike you, I don't think their product is any better than anyone else's. At least I still have an open mind.
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Mr Bill, I have a contractor that installs Amana. I can't find anyone that actually has one. Everyone I talk to recommends Carrier but I don't want to eliminate Amana if it is a good brand.
    We can sell them all, but I am a RUUD dealer, this is what we have been selling since 1992, I don't know enough about Carrier or Amana to voice any opinions, but they "all" have/had there issues, this is why I had mentioned to look hard at the warranties vs mfg., this is a good starting point.

Post Likes
    They both have 10 year parts, but the Amana contractor pushes the 10 year labor and the Carrier says it isn't worth the money. Does this mean we can expect more labor and problems with the Amana?

Post Likes
    They both have 10 year parts, but the Amana contractor pushes the 10 year labor and the Carrier says it isn't worth the money. Does this mean we can expect more labor and problems with the Amana?

What is the "standard" parts and labor warranties?

Does this mean we can expect more labor and problems with the Amana?
    Labor problems? Only if you get a shotty contractor to install it.
    Wouldn't you think that life would be more peaceful if reference to your a/c system with a longer labor warranty? is the 10 years labor standard?

Post Likes
    Carrier could care less about your success, they want you to do nothing but sell their name only, not yours. They use tools like CFAD to tie you into them so that you're less likely to buy elsewhere that may or may not make a better product & so that you will push/advertise their brand name rather than yours. The Carrier brand is far more important to them than your brand name & you're doing nothing but helping them make their name better known than the contractors'. If you keep that up then Carrier will no longer need you to sell their brand; instead they'll just open their own shop & drive you out of business.

And, unlike you, I don't think their product is any better than anyone else's. At least I still have an open mind.
    Of course their brand is more important to them,as ours is to us.I don't think I'm helping them make their name better known then contractors,in has been that way for over a hundred years. Coop is 50-50 and so is logo size,seems more then fair to a reasonable mind.

Care to bet on Carrier opening a residential shop? Been hearing that for 15 years or more.

Your comments prove to me, you have been drinking the private label Kool-Aide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in