As a new corporation with one employee (me) I have yet to take on a new construction job myself. At this time my income comes from service and equipment replacements which usually include minor duct changes such as plenums, return boots and transitions. My question is what is the best way one can bid a duct job? I know answers may vary, but whatever information you may provide would certainly help. I know how to bid equipment and parts for service however When it comes to duct I am greeeen. I never saw how my old boss would figure it out. Thank you for your guidence!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

For a nice extended pleum system,i'm getting 1200 per ton.
    But i would not advise that if you're going after new const.

On a basic house I usually get 4.00 dollars a square foot. When you start adding infloor heat, humidifiers, air to air ex, gas lines and all the extras it gets a little pricey. I stay busy though.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Yeah, but do those "rules of thumb" really work?

I figure mine the long way everytime. It still only takes about an hour to do a full floorplan, enough to give an accurate estimate that is. Here, you don't dare go over your bid or you won't have any work to overbid anymore. Because of that we had better have every little thing accounted for and then add $100 or so for cost over-run.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

The contractors I work for build the house and then call me and say "do it". This is only a ballpark I use to work with HO. If they say give me a written bid then and only then will I do a heat load and give a dollar for dollar price. I just finished a house for a couple and they called tonight wanting a firplace, humidifier, setback t-stat, hanging unit in the garage... He also wanted me to price a boiler for his infloor heat in the basement. Him and a sidejobber did it. They didn't insulate under the floor so I told that It wouldn't work anyway. I don't think he liked my answer but I didn't lie to him. We are going to put all the options in tomorrow.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

First thing is, I use hvac-calc and heat load the home. the first ones I figured in all my costs added my profit and then figured it in a tonnage price. I then tested the waters with what the competition does. I keep my prices up as high as I can, so does a few of the major companies in town. We have a bunch of hacks in the area , that like to work for peanuts. I figure if I can get 50% to 60% of what I bid I am in the ballpark. I will not cut my prices to get a job. I, along with some of my competitors have been working hard to get prices up.

You can't make any money on ductwork for new construction, builders only what the cheapest price and quality is not an issue with them.

Originally posted by johnl45
    You can't make any money on ductwork for new construction, builders only what the cheapest price and quality is not an issue with them.
    Ditto

And why is this thread allowed to talk prices.

this should be in the site supporters section