+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homeowners............ jeez!!!

Post Likes
    I gave a HO a bid on a new furnace and A/C in his house, I thought it was a pretty fair quote. He calls me back and says a guy is going to do it for over $1000.00 less than I quoted. I don't even have that in labor!! Is it so slow that people are giving the work away or am I doing something wrong. If it is a side jobber I would understand. But, he said it was a A.S. dealer. I called the HO back and told him I was sorry I couldn't help him good luck with everything. I'm just venting, I got more than I can do right now anyway. But, you just hate to lose the good jobs.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Post Likes
    happens more than I would like in my world. Houston is getting worse year after year.

Post Likes
    I had the same thing last week. The other company gave a price I couldn't even consider, I didn't even have to go back to my numbers to think it over, I just knew. I see this about 2 or 3 times a month. THEN, that same company, they purposely bid-out of a job, good jobs too.....it's like they intentionally take the crap work and pass on the nice easy stuff and great customers....that's why it really hasn't bugged me much.

I guess you are just going to have to sell yourself. Explain why even though you are NOT going to be the low bid, here's why they should pick you. I approach ever job with this attitude even when I know it's a sure thing, it keeps me practiced up.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    I guess that is what bothers me most. I usually get every one I go to. I am fair and we do damn nice work. I have the same confidence going to every job. I have several contractors that don't even ask for prices. They just call me and say I got another job, go do it. It is just the HO's that look only at the price not the work or the reputation. Well tommorrow is another day. Just have to wake up and "GIT'R DONE".

Post Likes
    I had that happen too. Often it is counter guys working on the side, jag offs.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    I just give the go ahead for a contractor to put in a heat pump. He was AS, and he was the second highest quote. Why? Just a lot of little things that added up. If he said he would call me that evening, he would call me that evening. If he said he would be at the house at 6pm to drop off a brochure or some paperwork, he was at the house at 6pm. He answered all of my questions, and then some. He crawled up to the attic for each question (we were in the garage), so he went up there 5 times. He did not guess, or answer from memory, he went up and checked. He called his wholesaler for things he was unsure about (what size variable speed unit for a 3 ton heatpump, 37k or 40k max). I had to drop something of with him, so he invited me to his shop, and have me a little tour; it was clean and well kept, and he obviously liked what he did.

That really, really impressed me. A lot. I thought to myself, this is a man of his word. If he says he will do something, he will do it. He cares about these things. So I gave the job to him, even though he was about 300 more than the other AS guy.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dewi

That really, really impressed me. A lot. I thought to myself, this is a man of his word. If he says he will do something, he will do it. He cares about these things. So I gave the job to him, even though he was about 300 more than the other AS guy.
    Too bad many HO ain't as smart as you. It ain't like buying a washing machine, car or fridge. The units have to be installed properly and there are many varibles involved.
    A poor install using improper units or procedures can never work right. Long term problems wipe out any savings by going with Mr. El-Cheapo contractor.

Post Likes

Ya know, I must be a good BSer

because I have had many a homeowner tell me while we were installing that I was $800.-$1,600 higher that the next guy. I credit it to Tom Piscatelli's sales course and HVAC-Calc to set me apart. Oh that and after reading Dicers posts for a few years I have snappier comebacks to stupid questions.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I to have been told " you were'nt the cheapest bid, but I saw what you did for so and so and it looked great". Just this guy kind of worked on me. Hell, I even drove by his house to see who he got to do it. I was once told a paranoid person makes a good entrepaneur, I must be a great one!!!!!

Post Likes

Re: Ya know, I must be a good BSer

Originally posted by spotts
    Oh that and after reading Dicers posts for a few years I have snappier comebacks to stupid questions.
    Shouldn't I be getting a cut of that site supporter action?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in