+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 120 volt meter

Post Likes
    Set a new condensor and case coil today. went to start it up and check the pressures and no go. Found that the home only has 120vac going to it. The meter says 120 vac. There is 120 v from each lug to ground, but no 230 across. Followed the lines back to the pole and both are tied in to the same edison line. It has been like this for 55 years. Never seen anything like this in 20 years. The home has no 230v appliances and the old lady washes her cloths by hand. Any body ever run into this?

Post Likes
    That's pretty neet. I've never seen that. Maybe I'm just too young sure one of the old farts have seen it.

Post Likes
    I have seen one or two.
    I always check the breaker box to see if there are ANY double breakers, which will tell me if there might be 240v, before I think about installing an AC.
    All you can do now is tell the poor lady that she will have to hire an electrician to rewire her entrance and install a new breaker box.

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    I still see them once in a while.

Who was the salesman that sold a system to someone with only 120 service?

Are y'all going to eat the cost of the service upgrade?

Post Likes
    have seen that before in rural georgia. who sold that?!?
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Post Likes
    I sold the job through a referal. Funny thing is that no one noticed till the very end and that no one was me . The job did include the electrical upgrade to 100 amp service, but the electrician didnt notice until I asked him what he did with my 230 volts. Anyway, the power company is going to correct it. Strange sh#t. Peace to all.

Post Likes
    Lots of that around here in the older areas. I lived in a house in the 70's which had 30 amp service with 1 30 amp screw in fuse. Sure was easy to find the bad fuse

Post Likes
    I have seen that. Many years ago and I mean many, I installed some elec basboard heaters for an older lady in a shack kind of house. I assumed she had 220, when I hooked them up they didn't get very warm. Then I had to tell her she now needed an electrician to change her service. She was pretty poor and not too happy with me, to say the least. I heard lated she had them ripped out.
    I learned a valuable lesson that day, among other days I mean
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in