Thread: State Licensing

Hmm

What's the general feelings on mandatory profiency licensing? Good, bad or indifferant.
    Don't let your ego get in the way of a good decision

I'd love it.

here you need nothing, not even a license from a crakerjack box.

[Edited by spotts on 06-23-2004 at 02:04 PM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Your kidding spotts, you don`t need a state contractors lic.? In cal. we need a license to fart.

Certain parts of NY ya don't need one either. It goes county by county.
    Not what it use to be

Are you talking about state contractors lic. or city business lic.?

You do not need a state license in NY. Now each county may require you to have a county license but most do not. Scary thought huh
    Not what it use to be

all I have is an EPA license and a Tax thing.

Hell anybody can start a HVAC biz here.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I`m moving. I have to have state contractors lic.,county lic.,city lic.,fed tax #,. state tax #,State edd #,city
    fart tax # and on and on.O`ya,epa lic.I forgot that one.

It is not unusal for us to work in 3 different States in any one day. We are 11 miles from the MA border and 9 miles from NYS.

Here in Vermont we NEED an type S electrical license. They are strict on that. We have to pull a permit even to run thermostats and low voltage control wiring in a public building. Residential single family they don't mess with you. New thing now is if we change a RTU we need to get a town building permit. Or to do any replacement work in a public building we need a building permit. Also in Vermont they tried to get us to get gas fitting licenses but that never got off the ground.

In MA we need a Mass. AC contractors license. But we can't do gas piping, condensate drains or wiring. They look the other way on t'stats and low voltage because electricans get confused after you get past the black and white wires.

NY is the easiest. Like it was said above it goes by towns. The smaller the town the less regulations. We service Hoosic Falls NY. You can figure from there.

Actually since we, the contractors, get along in these 3 neighboring communities we kind of got our own little government and the inspectors work with us. "No hackers are allowed" in our little tri-state mafia.

For the sake of discussion let's say a mandatory state wide profiecy based HVACR license that is recognized by all local jurisdictions. After institution and the necessary grandfathering, all entering the trade must complete some form of apprenticeship period then test for journeyman license then futher down the road for a master license. Of course recognizing formal programs such as the UA provides.
    Don't let your ego get in the way of a good decision

Here in NC I have a state license and then just about every town has their own Privilege license. It's all $50 a pop. It would be nice if the state license was enough for everyone in the state but every town wants a piece of the pie too.