Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 06D oil question

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    neither compressor is below the condensor. bottom compressor is sitting about the same level as the evap.
    Isn't the horizontal condenser coil 3-4' off the ground and the evaporator higher than a oil sump 3" off the ground? trapping? circuit pumped down before shutting off the unit? Gravity, temperature, etc, doesn't matter, there is always some migration when vapor refrigerant is in contact with a pool of oil. Just a little refrigerant boiling out of the oil upon start-up, has nothing to do with oil level anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rick james View Post
    Isn't the horizontal condenser coil 3-4' off the ground and the evaporator higher than a oil sump 3" off the ground? trapping? circuit pumped down before shutting off the unit? Gravity, temperature, etc, doesn't matter, there is always some migration when vapor refrigerant is in contact with a pool of oil. Just a little refrigerant boiling out of the oil upon start-up, has nothing to do with oil level anyway.

These are pumpdowns....They pump down every cycle and should, if properly set up, alternate starts...

Not arguing, just stating facts..

I thought he was referring to constant foaming and splashing while the compressors were running....Not just start up...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    sounded to me like they were only running for a couple minutes, after being tuned off for, I'm guessing, maint, and guessing again, without a pump down.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rick james View Post
    sounded to me like they were only running for a couple minutes, after being tuned off for, I'm guessing, maint, and guessing again, without a pump down.

Possible, but I did not actually read that anywhere.. I guess in that scenario that would be a diluted oil charge, I would think there would be more going on....

I have seen TXV failures (rare) and liquid solenoid failures do some odd stuff, but normally the software is smart enough to figure it out and spit out an alarm...

I see where you were going now...Just a different road.

GT

Post Likes
    "When I look at the bottom compressor glass, I don't see the oil being splattered on the window. What I do see is some small bubbles swirling in the oil, and eventually the oil foams on top."

"The oil level is about half"

"I made the observation at the startup after an extended off cycle. This is the only time that both compressors on this unit will run together."

Post Likes
    I still don't see anywhere they only ran for a couple minutes at a time....

I had explained what he observed in the first post....His description of what he saw is what I would consider normal...Providing it subsides and is at a constant level....Simply oil windage.....Unless there is very low superheat, I see no reason for concern...

The one recommendation I would have is to check all pressures and temperatures and compare that info to the RLA to identify a tired compressor with a large amount of blow by....

Otherwise....All good.

GT

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    I have seen TXV failures (rare) and liquid solenoid failures do some odd stuff, but normally the software is smart enough to figure it out and spit out an alarm
    i had a Leibert 20 ton computer room system would not stop pumping down

compressor was in a vacuum and pressure switch was working properly

the system showed no alarm, i noticed it during a maintanance

after a few minutes on the phone with leibert tech support

they had me twist a small capacitor off of the control board with my needle nose pliers

it fixxed the problem, you gotta love working on thee things!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    i had a Leibert 20 ton computer room system would not stop pumping down

compressor was in a vacuum and pressure switch was working properly

the system showed no alarm, i noticed it during a maintanance

after a few minutes on the phone with leibert tech support

they had me twist a small capacitor off of the control board with my needle nose pliers

it fixxed the problem, you gotta love working on thee things!

I don't exactly love working on the things, but a lot of the alarms can be bypassed in the setup mode of the software.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in