Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Do you have any sources for humidity in the house?
    i.e. Hot tub, water fall (artwork, decor, etc), large aquariums, clothes drier vented properly (vent disconnected behind drier may be more noticeably since the laundry room will get hot. Sometimes they are not as noticable though. Sometimes you will see an unusual accumulation of stuff get on you air filter for your air conditioner. Compare the color of what you find on your air filter with the color of the lint you get out of your drier filter. A drier vent venting under the house is not good either.
    Not only do you add all the moisture from your wet clothes to under the house... but the heat rises up against your floor and cunducts the heat back into the house. Turn your drier on and check the vent outside. If its blowing alot of air, then chances are its not come undone. If you can get under your house *SAFELY* then a visual inspection is best.

Factors that contribute to an air cond system to not remove humidity properly include...
    Duct leaks
    High Air Flow
    Oversized equipment
    Low refrigerant

Just a side note:
    I've seen systems with the new refrigerant (R-410 / Puron)
    appear to be fully charged by the gauges, but an actual
    capacity check revealed it was not right.

(For the tech's out there... 19 delta T Dry bulb 8 delta T Wet Bulb... removing plenty Sensible but not latent. This is on a Trane XL14i with the correct air flow.
    No duct leaks. Capacity check revealed about 19000 btu
    total but should have been closer to 38000 at the time.
    Don't have all the info available right now to show you... just be warned the R410 might fool you even though the charge looks right.)

Other factors to consider...
    Cheap hygrometers from wal-mart are just that... cheap.
    Get you hvac guy come in and test with an accurate meter.
    Does the house feel like a cave? Cold, damp, and clammy?

Is the hygrometer located near a room with sources of water? i.e. Kitchen, bathroom, laundry.
    It should be located on an interior wall also.

Question Location .. Oversizing ?

Originally posted by PatrickD
    Thanks, Dash. FYI- About 2000 sq. ft. house. Three ton Split system for most of house ( one story ) and 2 ton gas pak for 4 seasons room and portion of kitchen.
    Location __? Did I miss the city you are in?

... As Always .. Did you correlate this performance with an updated Manual J analysis?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Check his profile

Reasonable Start-Up IMPROVEMENTS

Originally posted by PatrickD

The current indoor readings: 72.3 degrees, 71% humidity. Outdoor readings: 84% humidity, 77 degrees.

If its oversized, who has responsibility for corrections?

If a whole house dehumidifier is preferred, who foots the bill?

The installer thinks the units are short cycling and adjusting the fan speed will do the trick. Is that reasonable ?

By the way, fans set on continuous, no moisture on walls or windows yet.
    dT across coil is VERY VERY Small.

Setting fan on Auto and mininum fan speed is likely to get you to < 60% R.H.

Try that for ~ 2 weeks and if not consistently < 58% R.H. request whole house dehumidifier AT Contractors Expense for not evaluating new conditions in Manual J that he should have provided to you as part of prosposal.

If a summary of Manual J was actually provided, then the owner should be responsible adding dehumidifier ( perhaps at time & materials cost with an accomodating, fair contractor ).

I WRITE the Window S.H.G.C. basis into the proposal if the builder is not absolutely clear on the degree of window and door glass tinting.

Renovations ALWAYS Require MUCH more effort to assure that the building structure variables are addressed correctly.

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    This thread started about a year ago,doubt the OP is checking back still.

Thats too funny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12