Wink

I Just got my own truck and I am having trouble setting it up.I was thing of making my own racking. I am looking for some ideas. Thanks for any of your info or pictures. Thanks
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Well, Show us a picture of your new truck!

Try americanvan.com they have a good selection. No matter how many shelves I put in there's still s*#t rolling around on the floor

If you do decide to build something use nylon nuts and lockwashers. If its a basic van get a good divider or whatever they call the thing right behind the seats, get into an accident and things tend to turn into missles in the truck.

First thing we do is cover the floor with aspenite or plywood. This protects the truck and things don't slide so easily.

The fastest and cheapest way to make shelves is to us slotted angle iron. Get an angle iron cutter and the job goes quickly. It is just like the 'erection set' you had when you were a kid. After you make the frames just cut aspenite or plywood and drop them into the angle iron.

Our last van came from Ford and the shelving was free. We still but down the aspenite on the floor. The tech who drives it really likes the Ford setup.

Originally posted by benncool
    'erection set'
    You said erection

Wink

I think they have pills for that
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Originally posted by jerrycoolsaz
    'erection set'
    You said erection
    Rodney Dangerfield's fameous line---"We we're so poor that it is a good thing I was born a boy or I wouldn't have nothing to play with!"

with the union raises on there way it sounds like milk crates are the way to go http://www.erectorset.net/set01.html

Originally posted by maxster
    with the union raises on there way it sounds like milk crates are the way to go http://www.erectorset.net/set01.html
    ================================================== ==========

M-a-a-n! That brings back memories. Had one of those and played with it for almost 10 years. Got it when I was 4 and had to share it with my dad! Great learning tool. Wish they were still available but don't see them anymore. Too bad.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by maxster
    That link sure does bring back memories. Probably they don't make them any more. They had all these little nuts and bolts with the set. Some kids must of choked on them and the now-a-days lawyers probably had a field day.

Try choking on a Leggo.

Been there, done that.

First thing we do is cover the floor with aspenite or plywood. This protects the truck and things don't slide so easily.

The fastest and cheapest way to make shelves is to us slotted angle iron. Get an angle iron cutter and the job goes quickly. It is just like the 'erection set' you had when you were a kid. After you make the frames just cut aspenite or plywood and drop them into the angle iron.

Our last van came from Ford and the shelving was free. We still but down the aspenite on the floor. The tech who drives it really likes the Ford setup.
    Not so sure it's the fastest. My old boss bugged the **** outta me to finsh setting up a "new" truck till he finaly got out on the road for the day. I took nylon locking nuts and stuck them to the side of the van with stic-um. Nice neat rows so it looked like I bolted the shelves right through the side of the van. Then I backed it into the shop so it was the 1st thing he saw when he got his coffee in the morning. I was ordered to get a piss test, pay for the van and fired in the 10 minutes it took between the coronary and the time his helper figured it out.
    All of our trucks came with the basic shelving packages then we added aluminum 3-piece ladder racks, refer racks from Master built and American Van and other book and specialty stuff. Adrian Steel seems to have the pre-fab kits the put in the OEM vans available online.

Thumbs up

did you ever bend the steel to fit your projects and those angles?.....with that,lincoln logs and block city look at us now still using a ball peen to get things to fit!with a new van shelf system set up lining them with carpet(talk about quiet) and cut some rectangular pieces for the floor after the 3/4 goes down helps save those knees on those late calls...and a 12V overhead head light add-on in the middle of the roof beam won't hurt.

[Edited by maxster on 06-22-2004 at 05:19 PM]