Hybrid View

I've been foolish in handling a couple of accounts, which in the past 4 months, have cost me around $3,000. Now, I hardly ever have a non-paying customer. Maybe once every 1.5 years or so, so I don't watch over this part of my business with a sharpe eye.

Recently I had one of my multi-millionaire customers not pay a little over $2,000 in service work. He has been a long term customer with no problems. And I serviced his estate before he purchased it.

Then I had a call on an analysis of a pool dehumidification system at a residential apt complex. That always sends up a red flag for me. Two Service Invoices for about $842 and the management just won't pay. Happy with what I found. They just won't pay.

So I can file liens against both properties which I am most happy to do. I would like to own a little portion of both of these properties. Well, you know what I did? I waited just a couple days past the 90 day cut off period for filing a lien.

Yep, being a nice guy doesn't pay against people who are out to take advantage of others.

So I have contacted an attorney and he says the magic phase, which I have completley overlooked on my Service Invoices, is "late fees at X% per months PLUS attorney fees and costs for recovery" or some such wording.

I have a paragraph where I can charge interest for over due payments. BUT I forget to add attorney expenses in the paragaph body which gives me a distint advantage in having these non-paying customers take me seriously.

According to this attorney if I had included a phrase of some sort like that, this $842 bill can esclate up and up and up because of that simple phase making the customer look at me very seriously.

Just thought I would pass on this information to you guys and gals. It might save you paying a $3,000 over sight bill as I just did.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Add on a collection fee anyway, you got nuttin to lose, they might freak out and pay up.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Angry

been there,funny how the folks with the most cash will burn you first!i guess thats how they got it!!a pellet gun doesnt cost much,stormy july night,9pm.............just kidding...!!!good luck

Originally posted by Diceman
    Add on a collection fee anyway, you got nuttin to lose, they might freak out and pay up.
    Ya gotta understand some of my customers have more in wealth just sitting in their garages then I will probably see in my entire life. And just about all of them have estate managers and attorneys at their call.

Now, I don't back down and have, what's the word, minuplated a few to get paid because they just live in a different world than I do. Like the last one who pays slow, very slow cause he is flying around the world AND getting bottles of wine...well, I happen to mention to him after I rebuilt his wine cellar and for the first time in 4 years it actually cooled his wine...that his wine cooler needs to have a lot of my attention but I can't work unless I get paid because I have many other customers that need me for their wine coolers too.

He understands this kind of talk. And he usually pays on time now.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835