went out to a customer house that have PM contract with me breaker kicked off, cond fan went on but not compressor.
    ohmed out comp no ohms on start winding, pulled disconnet turned off breaker pulled top of condenser reached down in there poped off cover to plug for start, common & run winding wire clip melted off to start, plug rusted bad.
    reached in there with amery cloth cleaned all three plugs best i could, small tight areaput all new clips on ends of wire's could not get clip on start plug rusted to bad.
    went to store picked up a heavy dutywire clamp, put wire in it to plug screwed in to what was left of plug.
    already checked start cap, run cap & contactor all good.
    now working good no call back been two weeks.
    do they sell replacement plugs for 15 year old carrier 3 ton.
    it was a tight spot and i did best I could also changed wiring with new 10 gauge going to plug

Ive head good luck with these.... http://www.term-lok.com

Had the same problem with an old Carrier trash can, compressor terminals were facing the condenser coil with barely enough room to get your hands in between.

i have a set of term locks on my truck. PIA to install if compressor is in unit, easy if on the tailgate!
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Yeah they can be a pain to install, once had to do one on an old GE unit, no way was I getting in there so I pulled out the ol sawzall and cut the top corners of the comp terminal housing and bent the top up, installed the term-lok then bent the top back down, a lil duct tape and it was good as new

thanks for the information on term lock see if my supplier united refrigeration sells em or maybe johnstone here in NJ.

Re: reply

Originally posted by TheDuke
    thanks for the information on term lock see if my supplier united refrigeration sells em or maybe johnstone here in NJ.
    Yes Johnstone carries them. Be sure to get the ones that use an allen wrench to tighten and not the one with the phillips head screw. The allen wrench type may be a little harder to get on but the all will fit in the area where the others won't. The other type also seems to burn up easier.