Thread: Subcooling

Subcooling

I was always taught that you should never mess with design of original equiptment. I have a Commericial Building with 40 Blazer package units about 90 tons each. We have had many problems with the original condensers. Recently We did a capital improvement project and replaced our condensers with high efficency shell and tube condensers, which we can now punch tubes if needed. My problem is that im not sure where to measure the sub cooling from because we added about 16 feet of piping. Should I take the temp at outlet of condenser or all the way at the dryer which is about 15 feet away. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by icedr024 View Post
    I was always taught that you should never mess with design of original equiptment. I have a Commericial Building with 40 Blazer package units about 90 tons each. We have had many problems with the original condensers. Recently We did a capital improvement project and replaced our condensers with high efficency shell and tube condensers, which we can now punch tubes if needed. My problem is that im not sure where to measure the sub cooling from because we added about 16 feet of piping. Should I take the temp at outlet of condenser or all the way at the dryer which is about 15 feet away. Any help would be appreciated.
    industry says to measure at condensor outlet. 15' wont be an issue unless that 15 feet travels thru a massive heat source.
    its never a bad idea to check at the evaporator in addition to ensure solid colum of liquid.
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Thanks for the advice.