Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

If you have to take a break because of rain?

If there are no calls but still have to stay available?

Yes, but I would hope the van or shop is spiffed up.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Seems that my employer will only pay me when I can bill someone. My new job is not all I'd hoped for.

I've heard we don't pay for that a little more often than I want. And I'm wondering if I will be required to put in 40 this winter and only be paid for 20. He told me he will pay 20 hours when it's slow. But I don't want to sit around the shop unpaid. If I'm off the clock I should be with my family.

It's been a month and I don't want to jump ship just yet. I will be talking to him about a raise real soon.

I don't always get paid, especially during January thru March. Really makes for tough times. Bills keep coming in but no money coming in. I have to put the money away during the other months to live on it when things get slow, like a squirrel gathering nuts for winter. And I own the business!!

When were slow we can take the time off (on our dime) or the boss will find us work, even if it's at his house or that of a family member.
    Yes it's not a/c but he'll pay us the same.

I think my boss is great even if the bennies don't exist.
    Pay is OK ( sort of, Always could be better).

As for your HAVING to work 40 and being paid only for 20. I believe you only have to be there the 20. Unless YOU want to be there more.

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

You may want to look for the Department of Labor website regarding "stand-by" pay policies to maybe back you up or educate your boss.

I learned that if you have an on call tech or even a tech who is dispatched from his house, the clock starts when he leaves his driveway, not when he arrives at the jobsite.

I would say if you are waiting for the rain to stop, and bossman won't send you home, you should be getting paid.

Read, read, read!

We get paid 40 no matter what

Company signed a 5 year maint. contract in a manufacturing plant. Plus we get a minimun 4 hours on any callout. Starts from the time we get paged until we get home.

[Edited by rob10 on 06-19-2004 at 11:41 PM]

HI GUYS, MY BOSS STILL PAYS US BECAUSE HE ALSO HAS A PROPANE COMPANY. NOT ONLY DO WE DO HVAC BUT WE ALSO DO GAS SERVICE CALLS AND FILL CYLINDERS IN THE WINTER OR SUMMER. WE REPAIR GAS LINES SET, PROPANE TANKS, REPAIR PROPANE TANKS, INSTALL AND CONVERT COOKSTOVES AND ALL TYPES OF FURNACES, HOT WATER BOILERS, AND SUMMER AC SERVICE AND INSTALLS. I GUESS WERE BUSY ALL YEAR LONG. OH YEAH OUR BOSS ALSO HAS US DOING ALL OF THE WIRING AND CAPENTER WORK AT THE SHOP. WE HAVE THREE BUILDINGS.

they dont pay us for standby time but if they call me back I get paid from the time I went on standby.
    I can do all things...

No...

Hell If I take my 15 minutes BREAKS I get *****ed at...

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Have never not gotten my 40 hours.......or not gotten my 8 to 4:30 even if not one call came in that day. We polish the trucks or shop!

We have a dual pay rate. We get $xx.xx when we are doing a job, customer getting billed. Then we have a rate of $xx.xx($6per hour less) for when we are sitting idle in the shop. But like mentioned above, there's always something to put away at the shop which we then just get the "non-tech" rate. It's not bad really, I do know guys that get nothing while on stand-by.
    Personally I don't mind rain since it gives me a chance to catch up on estimates. It's kind of a ***** to do the sales and system design, yet still be expected to do service and provide tech support to all the other techs. I do most estimates at home on my personal laptop to get them done, since I get paid the non-tech rate even when doing work at home. The only time it pays off to have taken the responsibility of sales is when I make a sale and get the commission.
    I think dual rate pay is the way to do it, from the boss's standpoint, it keeps the guys moving if they want to make any money. It just pisses me off when I bust my ass and then have to listen to the other ***** 'cause thier checks sucked, well it's thier own damn fault they only worked 30 hours and I worked 50+.
    That is another good thing about our company and dual rate. If you need time off, don't wake real early, or need off early, it's ok(to an extent), you just aren't getting paid.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

If it starts raining here, which quite often it does in the afternoons in summer, I make the decision to stay at the job, usually they only last 30 minutes to an hour, and I pay them, if it is an all day storm and we can't do certain jobs, I tell them to go home and just be on standby. Till 4 pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast