Hybrid View

Does anyone have any info on the trouble shooting sequence for a trane variable speed, A/C cond unit. Its a TTS. Without some kind of operational theory, it's like threading a needle blindfolded.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Are you asking about a 2 speed compressor?

No it's a true variable speed. I think it's a DC compressor with a inverter speed control. Not something you come across everyday

is that a 1500 or something like that? i remember @ 1990 trane had a vs comp in the "xv1500"?
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Then, they stopped making it in 95.

I have a customer with 3 of those, no idea on troubleshooting the compressor except..... if its broke, replace it, Im sure the replacement price on the compressor or the controls is outrageous, if they are even available

Originally posted by swampfox
    I have a customer with 3 of those, no idea on troubleshooting the compressor except..... if its broke, replace it, Im sure the replacement price on the compressor or the controls is outrageous, if they are even available
    They're available, and you are correct on the pricing...better to replace than to repair. Since most techs haven't been to any training on these beasts since 1993, you'll end up doing more part changing than troubleshooting. I'd recommend selling a new system unless you can get your hands on the troubleshooting guide. It's available through your local residential distributor.

Originally posted by jrbenny
    Originally posted by swampfox
    They're available, and you are correct on the pricing...better to replace than to repair. Since most techs haven't been to any training on these beasts since 1993, you'll end up doing more part changing than troubleshooting. I'd recommend selling a new system unless you can get your hands on the troubleshooting guide. It's available through your local residential distributor.
    Agreed....you CAN'T trouble shoot that thing without the big thick manual, you just can't.
    I have worked on a couple. Changed out one because the bridge rectifier(converts a/c to d/c) shorted and a/c power took the compressor out. Worst part, the damn unit was sooooooo big I had to pop the top and climb in to troubleshoot the compressor.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.