Last customer of the week - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by Dowadudda
    His biggest point to me was. "Don't compete at the bottom".

Very wise indeed!!! I've been sayin it for years, but it falls on deaf ears. Most contractors are still competing with the "I can do it for less" sales? technique. All this does is hurt the whole industry.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Re: usaf hvac retired

Originally posted by baub
    You were right 100%, that you deserved the service call. But was it worth the $40 to PO a new customer. My response would have been, " Quality customers like you, get one free-bee. Glad it was a small problem, but the next non-warranty call will be billed at my normal rate."

JMO... what do I know, I just keep the beer cold, and a 99c bag of ice can do the same job.
    I think baub is right on the money with this one. We have a saying we used when people like this get under our skin. "Do you want be right or do you want to be rich" Some times it's better to be wrong.

I would have told him..........

I should have explained, you don't need to turn the breaker off to change the filter. Next time just shut it off with the thermostat. I'm glad to see you pay such close attention to your filter! No charge sir.

Good happy word of mouth and having this guy run sales for me is way more important that $40. But I live in a small town, I have to "Think like Andy Taylor"
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I really get the feeling that there is a marked difference between commercial customers and residental customers and expectations from the customers of the contractor. I think most business owners and property managers have more realistic ideas about what it costs to run a business and the cost of doing business and are more reasonable about charges for silly things like stats being switched off or breakers turned off etc. Residental customers I think tend to not be able to understand that it costs $ to send a tech to his door and fix something that the home owner could have easily done him self if his head wasn't up his butt. They also do not take into consideration that the tech could have been charging another customer the $$ to fix some other call. lastly a "free call" costs the co twice what was NOT charged cause the tech could have been making money at another call instead.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Very well said, Penguin. Yes, that does appear to be the case, with a few exceptions like maybe some restaurant owners who want to pay you in wontons

After he told you to get the F@#$ out of his house you should have said. "I'll take that coke now"

Originally posted by infwsdm
    After he told you to get the F@#$ out of his house you should have said. "I'll take that coke now"

Yeah, but I'd rather drink it than wear it

Senior Tech Guest
    Simple answer...we have all established a set of principles that we live by and morals that we follow, at what dollar value do we allow ourselves to be treated with less respect than we treat others with? For me it's zero, treat me with respect and I will treat you with the same and also treat you fairly. If I have to dig ditches or flip hamburgers the rest of my life so be it, I would not have tolerated this clowns behavior for one second, he treated you unfairly and in his feeble mind probably blames you personally for his own idiotic mistake. At no dollar value would I sell out the the principles by which I live, I don't care how many people he told, how many customers I lost, or if I ever worked in the field again...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123