I headed out early this morning for a store one hundred & twenty miles out there!
    Drove straight there. Got the paper signed and left, headed for the next store, which was on the way home.
    Spent the afternoon fiddling with some stuff I was a bit pooped to deal with.

I coordinate everything with my manager and head on home.
    I left the store with a second defrost for nine pm, NINE PeeMmm.

Sat down to a nice dinner. Right about the time my favorite show is closing... the dang phone rings.

No arguement, just jump in the van and head back over to the last store I was at.
    That second defrost I put in got them all excited.
    By morning , everything would have been fine.

But since they called ... I went. And while I was there, I found a pluged tx screen in one of the cases.

I guess I was just too pooped to think straight earlier in the day.

Let see ... 12 and five is how many hours ???

too many for my brain.

Last Wed I started at 8am, finished for the day at 4:30am, slept for 1 1/2 hrs, then worked till midnight Thurs. Ended up with 30 hrs ot for the week. I have been doing market stuff for just a month, I never saw this kind of ot with hvac companys or doing the laboratory stuff I did for the past 5 yrs. Tim

Attitude has a whole lot to do with it.
    Last night I couldnt even think of options to certain problems.

But when I got home this morning ... I got a few hours sleep and then it happened all over again.
    But this time out was different.

I had a feel for the problem. I made no wasted steps or mistakes. I went right to the trouble and fixed it.
    I felt like I was in control. I felt like I had the edge.

And I felt good about doing the repair. I didnt short cut the job, I did just what I wanted to do, if it was my own system.
    (Well ... almost.) I'll go back on straight time and change the oil and do one more core ... just for good measure.

But sometimes our brains lock out and we simply cant thing straight. It was that way last night for me.

Now if this cell phone would just be still until Monday ... I'll be fine.........

R-12 Save that OT money. When your working on a market schedule, you can burn out easy. When you need to take a week or two off when things get heavy. You won't be worried about money.

A week with the family, or on the pond, is good medicine.

Markets will be stressful on people who care about what they do, And you care.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Talking

They are really running your old ass all over the place huh?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by R12rules

But when I got home this morning ... I got a few hours sleep and then it happened all over again.
    But sometimes our brains lock out and we simply cant thing straight. It was that way last night for me.
    Ever come up with the solution to a real stumper while you are sleeping?? I have done that a few times. The mind keeps working in the background I guess..

Originally posted by refer dude 2479

Ever come up with the solution to a real stumper while you are sleeping?? I have done that a few times. The mind keeps working in the background I guess..
    Yep, with my back to the switchgear, and my ass on a milk crate...

Originally posted by condenseddave

That reminds me of a time when I walked in the mech room to help out a mech that had been on call the night before. I found him on a milk crate with his back against the switch gear sound asleep with a melted ice cream bar all over his shirt. Poor guy only got 1 bite before he dozed off.

hahahahaha

Originally posted by condenseddave

That reminds me of a time when I walked in the mech room to help out a mech that had been on call the night before. I found him on a milk crate with his back against the switch gear sound asleep with a melted ice cream bar all over his shirt. Poor guy only got 1 bite before he dozed off.

hahahahaha
    That's why I ALWAYS carry a digital camera.

Originally posted by Diceman
    They are really running your old ass all over the place huh?
    This was an uncommon day. Usually I drive one hundred to one fifty. And that's with the 25 miles into Austin and then back again.

Most of my stores are in Austin proper. (not that there is anything "proper" about the city of Austin Texas!) hehehe

As long as I'm not sleepy behind the wheel, I love the road. And to be in an air conditioned van with miles of C-Stores to cator to my every wish ... that's far more comfy than any motor room I've ever been in.
    Althought the challenge is missing with being behind the wheel.
    I've driven so long and so many miles ... save for growing sleepy from time to time .. driving is more natural to me than even sleeping.

I just wish I had some magic pill or potion to take and get rid of the sleepy feeling I often get.

I dont fear heatstroke from being on hot roofs!
    I dont fear electrocution from live panels!
    I only fear falling asleep at the wheel and exchanging paint with something or somebody!

The last night i was called out, the wife went with. She does real good at keeping me awake.
    She's a very patient woman.

Well duh, you'd have to be to put up with all of my antics... I'm NOT an easy person to live with I'm sure!!!

Originally posted by frozensolid
    R-12 Save that OT money. When your working on a market schedule, you can burn out easy. When you need to take a week or two off when things get heavy. You won't be worried about money.

A week with the family, or on the pond, is good medicine.

Markets will be stressful on people who care about what they do, And you care.
    I have often felt that I am in the wrong end of this industry.
    But I just dont know what else to do or where else to go for work.

I have tried many many times to find my niche. But nobody is hiring based upon the qualifications of Think Tank or Brainstorming. Plus they always ask for a degree in somethig obscure.

When I was with a dotcom startup... I was in hog heaven. My brainstorming skills were being challenged and utilized. It was fantastic.
    But alas ... mothing lasts forever. Houston pulled the plug on our division and away went the monthly salaries and the beautiful buildings ...and all that technology equipment as well.

So each morning, I get up, kiss my wife goodbye for the day and grab my cellphone from the charger and get dressed. I drive towards the big "small town" of Austin. And when the company is through with me I am free to drive home again, where I recouperate for the night.

It's not much of a life ... but it beats being unemployed.
    It beats being in a job where your not earning enough money to pay your bills.
    And it sure beats working in foodservice!

Sure I care about what I do.
    And I notice it when I cheat.

But here I am and until it changes ... this is what I do for a living.

And maybe someday ... it wont always be like this.