HW Reclaim Leaker

Got one rack w/ three HW tanks. Not getting any hits but suspecting HW reclaim is leaking. Besides cutting them loose and blowing em up with nitrogen, any secrets/ experience?? Thanks

pop the pressure relief and stick your sniffer by the drain and hope you can pick up the mixture of water and refrigerant.

Or drain the tank completely of water and leave the drain valve open, refrigerant vapor leaking into the tank will also leave the drain valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    pop the pressure relief and stick your sniffer by the drain and hope you can pick up the mixture of water and refrigerant.

Or drain the tank completely of water and leave the drain valve open, refrigerant vapor leaking into the tank will also leave the drain valve.

Ditto.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

What's the brand of reclaim tank? I've had Thermastor and Mueller leakers but never had one leaking to the water side.

To my knowledge, both have stainless steel heat exchanger jackets that wrap around the water tank giving you a double wall between the refrigerant and the water. It would then seem very unlikely that you could get a leaker without being able to detect it from the outside.

The only sure way to confirm a refrigerant leak is to isolate the plate from the ref system and pressurize with nitrogen at 300 PSI for several hours. Using electonic leak detectors does not work because of the refrigerant used to blow the foam.
    We have never had a refrigerant leak into the water because of the double wall seperating water from the refigerant.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Ice it dose not happen often but I had a thermo burst into the water jacket just last year.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

The last Thermostore I replaced was leaking up through the refrig stubs badly. Looking inside the tank, the interior walls were insulated with what looks like black, rubberized undercoating with only the bottom dome left bare for a heat exchange.

What's the brand of reclaim tank?

Its a therma. Funny, I got a hit at the hand sink...

I've seen 3 old therma's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    Got one rack w/ three HW tanks. Not getting any hits but suspecting HW reclaim is leaking. Besides cutting them loose and blowing em up with nitrogen, any secrets/ experience?? Thanks
    why cut and isolate....... i've found it done before and even tagged that it was done

roll eyes now
    hhaha
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site