Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm Hoshi Flaker Yellow Ice

I have a client that is complaining of yellow ice. I cleaned the machine today-was pretty scaled and slimy. I ordered water filter replacement cartridges and will replace those tomorrow. What else might cause this problem?

bad bottom seal maybe??
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Thats what I was thinking also. Guess I was hoping for something else. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chilltech View Post
    Thats what I was thinking also. Guess I was hoping for something else. Thanks!
    Yellow ice yummm.

To quote Frank Zappa
    "Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow"
    I know you were all thinking it

Disgruntled employee?

Anyone complain of getting sick moderate or really really sick after drinking/eating ice from machine? Could be co2 from pressurizer tank leaking via back flow preventer the co2 reacts with the copper and makes carbonic acid.

http://abpa.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=176

"The right dispenser valves are key in protecting beverage consumers. ...Whether you drink soda or pop, have you ever thought about the water quality used to make these beverages? ...if it is from a drink dispenser, the water supply is an important part of the equation. ...The problem occurs when carbonic acid, which is highly corrosive to copper and copper alloy found in many drink dispensers, reacts to the metal and creates an excess of copper in the water used to produce soda. When this happens, the person consuming the beverage gets a bad drink. Depending on the amount of copper in the water, you can get a terrible stomachache. There are cases of vomiting, as well as trips to the hospital. While I don't know of anyone dying, some attacked by copper poisoning said it felt like they were dying. ...Anytime a potable water line supplying a soft drink can be contaminated, there's concern on the part of the plumbing industry. ...In the late 1980s, ASSE started a project to establish a standard for a new vented double-check valve to protect the water supply to carbonated beverage dispensers. For years, dispenser manufacturers installed a double-check valve on the water supply inside the units. ASSE 1032 regulates these valves. The problem for the plumbing industry is the valves have no atmospheric vent. Hence, if there is a failure, there is a possibility of carbonic acid flowing back to a copper water line. The new standard was designated ASSE 1022. ...The soft drink industry announced last year (1999) it is switching all new carbonated beverage dispensers to an internal ASSE 1022 device for backflow protection. ...What about the older carbonated beverage dispensers? For the older dispensers, you need to provide an external ASSE 1022 backflow preventer. Whenever you are doing any work in a fast food restaurant, quick shop, restaurant, nightclub or other location with a carbonated beverage dispenser, check to make sure the dispenser has the correct backflow preventer. It needs either an internal or external ASSE 1022 device. Now, for a little secret. If you encounter a dispenser with a built-in ASSE 1032 device, which is the wrong one under new plumbing codes, and no external ASSE 1022 device, have the owner of the facility contact his distributor. The distributor, typically a soda company under contract, will replace the ASSE 1032 device with an ASSE 1022 as a part of its service contract with the facility."
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Anyone complain of getting sick moderate or really really sick after drinking/eating ice from machine? Could be co2 from pressurizer tank leaking via back flow preventer the co2 reacts with the copper and makes carbonic acid.

http://abpa.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=176

"The right dispenser valves are key in protecting beverage consumers. ...Whether you drink soda or pop, have you ever thought about the water quality used to make these beverages? ...if it is from a drink dispenser, the water supply is an important part of the equation. ...The problem occurs when carbonic acid, which is highly corrosive to copper and copper alloy found in many drink dispensers, reacts to the metal and creates an excess of copper in the water used to produce soda. When this happens, the person consuming the beverage gets a bad drink. Depending on the amount of copper in the water, you can get a terrible stomachache. There are cases of vomiting, as well as trips to the hospital. While I don't know of anyone dying, some attacked by copper poisoning said it felt like they were dying. ...Anytime a potable water line supplying a soft drink can be contaminated, there's concern on the part of the plumbing industry. ...In the late 1980s, ASSE started a project to establish a standard for a new vented double-check valve to protect the water supply to carbonated beverage dispensers. For years, dispenser manufacturers installed a double-check valve on the water supply inside the units. ASSE 1032 regulates these valves. The problem for the plumbing industry is the valves have no atmospheric vent. Hence, if there is a failure, there is a possibility of carbonic acid flowing back to a copper water line. The new standard was designated ASSE 1022. ...The soft drink industry announced last year (1999) it is switching all new carbonated beverage dispensers to an internal ASSE 1022 device for backflow protection. ...What about the older carbonated beverage dispensers? For the older dispensers, you need to provide an external ASSE 1022 backflow preventer. Whenever you are doing any work in a fast food restaurant, quick shop, restaurant, nightclub or other location with a carbonated beverage dispenser, check to make sure the dispenser has the correct backflow preventer. It needs either an internal or external ASSE 1022 device. Now, for a little secret. If you encounter a dispenser with a built-in ASSE 1032 device, which is the wrong one under new plumbing codes, and no external ASSE 1022 device, have the owner of the facility contact his distributor. The distributor, typically a soda company under contract, will replace the ASSE 1032 device with an ASSE 1022 as a part of its service contract with the facility."
    I am very familiar with bev. systems. Where does yellow ice tie in with carbonic acid?

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    I am very familiar with bev. systems. Where does yellow ice tie in with carbonic acid?

Ice can be discolored IE. Yellow from carbonic acid.

- E.E. Cummings

Ice can be discolored IE. Yellow from carbonic acid.
    I got that you are saying this...Have you seen this or can you state cases where this has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    I got that you are saying this...Have you seen this or can you state cases where this has happened?
    Carbonic acid can present from a brown to yellow depending on concentrations of minerals gas and copper or whatever.
    But if it gets you off heres a pic! It looks yellow to me.

- E.E. Cummings

- E.E. Cummings

Carbonic acid can present from a brown to yellow depending on concentrations of minerals gas and copper or whatever.
    But if it gets you off heres a pic! It looks yellow to me.
    No need to be a jerk about this. I was simply asking if you have seen carbonic acid make yellow ice. I can pee in ice and make it yellow! A science experiment is not the same as an ice machine producing yellow ice.Not trying to get you upset but again I ask have you seen or have any proof of carbonic acid making yellow ice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast