Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have been following this thread and waiting to comment. I have no children so perhaps my opinion is not valid.

I think you did the right thing. We service a clientele wher I often see kids who will never know the feeling of want. They will never experience the thrill of buying a car they had to fix themselves and when you get it right it fires up smoothly nor the joy of buying a home that they have had to scrimp and save for. Too often I see these spoiled brats and I do now appreciate how my Mom, single and on welfare with 5 kids, got a job and moved us away from the ghetto neighborhood I knew as a kid.

I'm gonna call her tomorrow and thank her again for that. She was more of a Father to me than my real father ever could have been.
    R2B4BTU

First an foremost, I think you did the right thing. Your the DAD and that is an AWESOME responsibility! Sometimes you have to be tough, it's your job! Your wife is playing her part too! That's her job. AND that's why it takes a MOM and a DAD! Sometimes exceptional moms or dads have to do it alone, I really respect those people!

BennCool

Cudos for hitting the nail on the head:

"All you can do is give them a good set of values and hope for the best. They will and must try thier own wings. You just got to be there to pick them up when they fall down. How long do you have to do this? Answer: As long as it takes."

"The way I look at it is that I brought them into the world so I am responsible for them until the day that I die."

"Your reward for all of this toil and heartache, that they put you through, is when you hear them say something to thier kids and it is exactly what you said to them when they were the same age."

Don't know how my wife and me got sooo lucky. We have 2 very outstanding young men at our house. This is my secret for what it's worth: The first arrived when I was 28. Both started Cub/Boy Scouts at a young age. ALWAYS told them I loved them and that I was proud of them (still do). Went on a lot of backpacking, camping and fishing trips together. Hardly ever had to spank them; usually telling them I was disappointed was worse than a spanking. They don't get the best grades in schools but that's ok. The oldest has an IQ of 140, just became an Eagle Scout and has elected to join the Army; will come out of basic with an E-3 (took me nearly 18 months to become an E-3 in the USAF). The youngest doesn't know what he'll do yet but has an IQ hiher than his older brother, watches a lot of TV like Discovery, History Channel (I never watched that stuff until he came along).

Don't know what happened, they just turned out to be the best pair of sons I have ever seen. JMM

I have thought it over this weekend. I will rehire him when he produces a EPA card, and a valid drivers lic. He will have to demostrate that he has a intress in HVAC by enrolling in some program Nate, ARI JR collage.I don't care. He also will be required to come to this site and at least read many of the problems that people bring to the site. If that is asking to much I will belive the hand writing is on the wall at that point.thanks for all the help almost all of your replys swow a real sence of wisdom and thought, and they have worked wonders on my wife. I made her read them all,

I said it once I'll say it again "Sometimes the right decision is never the easiest decision"
    Not what it use to be

Joining the NAVY was the best thing that I could have done at the time. Not knowing exactly what you want to do or how you are going to do it is just a normal life process. I have two daughters and will always be there as dad.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

I fired my son after only 3 days.

He sat and told me how he wanted me to take him under my wing...... wanted to start his own, gonna get married, yada,yada. First day he was only 2 minutes late, blew it off. Second day he was 15 minutes late, My pet peave. Told him show up at 7:30 if you have to but NEVER come in past 8:00 again! That day he drove the truck with the emergency brake on and warped the drums. 3rd day, 12 minutes late and I fired him, all it took. This entire buisness will not "hold up" and wait for daddys little fatty to wake up. I wish he would join the Army. He's a lazy sum buck. Slowest walker I've ever seen. Drives me nuts at work, on vacation, waiting for him to come out of a store, anywheres.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I bet he looks just like you too, and every time you look at him you see yourself 20 years ago.

Originally posted by acmanko
    I bet he looks just like you too, and every time you look at him you see yourself 20 years ago.
    I married his mother and adopted him in 1995 smartass! He's 19.
    I've never been lazy.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Originally posted by spotts
    Originally posted by acmanko
    I married his mother and adopted him in 1995 smartass! He's 19.
    I've never been lazy.
    Excuse me!!

Now, an adopted kid, there is another side to the equation of parenting. Any advice on it?

Now thats funny

Originally posted by rookie903
    Now, an adopted kid, there is another side to the equation of parenting. Any advice on it?
    It's funny, this one seems to think he can slack and then play the "step son act" to mommy so she can straighten me out. I can take that crap at home, but not at work. He will not affect my ability to turn a profit. If he wants to work for me, he'd better be ready to work hard and put forth 100% effort. If not, I hear McD's is hiring..........
    Walter Matthau

Spotts - good for you!! hopefully one day he will realize the error of his ways and will thank you for trying to show him good work ethics. Its tough when momma bear gets involved.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast