A/C making Humming Noise

Hello All, I got a problem with my A/C unit on a second storage. Hope someone could give me some advices before the service man come by.

My A/C unit is making a humming noise when I turn it on--- the unit outside the of the house. See, when I turn on the A/C. Everything inside the house working good. Air is blowing out(air not cold) and the unit in the attic is running.

But the problem is the blower motor fan outside not spinning. It's like there an electrical circuit that making a low humming sound and every minute or so a louder humming followed, and at that instance if I spin the fan blade, it will spin normally. But when it run about 5 minutes OR i changed the temperature on the thermostats, the motor fan blade will STOP running and only humming noise heard.

I used WD-40 to lubricated and electrical parts cleaner to cleaned the inside of the fan motor. It would not helped, still the same problem.

the brand named is Carrier.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fogbow View Post
    Hello All, I got a problem with my A/C unit on a second storage. Hope someone could give me some advices before the service man come by.

My A/C unit is making a humming noise when I turn it on--- the unit outside the of the house. See, when I turn on the A/C. Everything inside the house working good. Air is blowing out(air not cold) and the unit in the attic is running.

But the problem is the blower motor fan outside not spinning. It's like there an electrical circuit that making a low humming sound and every minute or so a louder humming followed, and at that instance if I spin the fan blade, it will spin normally. But when it run about 5 minutes OR i changed the temperature on the thermostats, the motor fan blade will STOP running and only humming noise heard.

I used WD-40 to lubricated and electrical parts cleaner to cleaned the inside of the fan motor. It would not helped, still the same problem.

the brand named is Carrier.

Thank you.
    Should be a simple fix for your HVAC tech.

I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong with it and the answer cannot be found inside a can of WD40. In the future, if you don't know what you're doing or why you're doing it, DON'T DO IT!! Like VTP99 said, it can be handled by an HVAC tech and if it's what I think it is, it'll be a simple fix. By doing things to something you know nothing about, you could compound a problem or make it worse. If you're not sure, call a pro.

Could be helpful if you tell me what the problem is. I scheduled the service already and they will charge me $ for the diagnostic time, any part replacement is free because it still under warranty.

It's pissed me off how they going to charged $ diagnostic time while the thing is still under warranty! I think it's a ripped off. You know how it is this days, they can just wasted their time make money of it for just a simple thing.

the simple thing i can think is the thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong with it and the answer cannot be found inside a can of WD40. In the future, if you don't know what you're doing or why you're doing it, DON'T DO IT!! Like VTP99 said, it can be handled by an HVAC tech and if it's what I think it is, it'll be a simple fix. By doing things to something you know nothing about, you could compound a problem or make it worse. If you're not sure, call a pro.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-05-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: price

You would be incorrect.

What...it's not worth the money (BTW, no pricing in posts!) to you for someone with years of experience to come to your home and get the diagnosis right the first time around?

The warranty is for the part, not labor, unless you have called the installing contractor and the labor warranty is still in effect (and if you were the one who purchased the system).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I also think I know what it is. No it is not the thermostat. I say think because I need to see it. We have no control over warrenty issues. From what you told us, I would recommend shutting it off to prevent any further damage.

Could be helpful if you tell me what the problem is. I scheduled the service already and they will charge me $99 for the diagnostic time, any part replacement is free because it still under warranty.

It's pissed me off how they going to charged $99 diagnostic time while the thing is still under warranty! I think it's a ripped off. You know how it is this days, they can just wasted their time make money of it for just a simple thing.

As you should know, businesses are designed to make money, plain and simple. They have to pay their employees wages, overhead for parts and equipment, and maintence costs for the service vehicles. The diagnostic fee is exactly what it sounds like, a diagnostic fee. The fee is to cover the travel time to the job site and determine what is wrong. Then you are approached with what is needed to repair the unit and how much it's going to cost. Our service trucks don't move for free and we service techs don't work for free either. We have families to take care of just like anyone else. Unless there is a labor warranty in effect, you'll still have to pay the labor for someone to go out there and replace/repair whatever is needed. A warranty on equipment is to cover parts only, unless specified to cover labor as well. Don't forget that most of us went to school to learn our trade and have gained valuable experience by working in the field. You're not only paying for the repair, but also for the experience/knowledge that we have. If you really feel like it's the thermostat, go ahead and replace it yourself. You'll still have to pay somebody to fix what is actually wrong with your unit, which is not the thermostat. But look on the bright side, you'll have a new thermostat!

Either a simple component or a condemn.

Had one of these last week, some other company told the guy his compressor was shot. Why he called them not us who put it in I don't know. But I told him we need to see it, probably isn't a dead comp, it wasn't. A simple component.

Call it a trip fee, diagnostic fee, evaluation fee, travel fee, windshield fee, warranty processing fee, whatever you like. But I assume that anyone who works for a living likes to get paid for working. So it is in the HVAC business. The tech wants to be paid a living wage. The business is going to pay him/her for driving out to your house and assessing the problem. There's an other one, an assessment fee! In any event, there's also the person who answered the phone to pay, the parts man who orders and tracks theh parts to pay, the answering service for outside business hours phone calls, insurance in case a tech burns down your house and don't forget, someone started the business to make a profit after all those expenses. So if it still doesn't fee right, why not cancel the house call, (there's another one, "house call fee") and take the unit into their shop to be repaired. That way you can save that cussed fee thing. Hey, that's what it should be called. A cussed fee!! That'd please everbody, eh?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Either a simple component or a condemn.

Had one of these last week, some other company told the guy his compressor was shot. Why he called them not us who put it in I don't know. But I told him we need to see it, probably isn't a dead comp, it wasn't. A simple component.
    Very nice.